Prop Shaft Size

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawk

Does anyone definitively know the length of the shaft for MK1.5 1990 with a M35 engine.

I saw a post from Ron a few years ago where he mentions 55" but I don't know if there are different lengths for various model years. I will call Catalina also.

Thanks
Hawk
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

Ron Hill

Tom : The SIZE is 1 inch diameter.  I believe that the LENGTH of 55" is correct for a MK I with a 4 cylinder M35, but the sure way to check is to pull the shaft and measure the length.  

I'm sure that you could probably use a new cutless bearing at the same time!  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Hawk

Thanks Ron. Looks like this will be left to the pros as i had kept my insurance premiums up to date.
New ss shaft custom made here in Vanc, cutless bearing and we'll see about the coupling. The prop wil be subjected to a form of persuasion that I am told will make it behave as new. The strut looks OK but will be inspected as some paint cracked around it from the whack.

All in all could have been worse with a direct hit on 25' x 1' diam log that rolled it right all the way under the boat from bow to stern. Its a surprisingly common issue for boaters around BC, so much so that most of us have had the recurring experience of suddenly saying, Cripes where did that thing come from, as a big dead head or log silently slips by a few feet off the side.

Hawk

Craig Illman

Hawk - "the forest" by way of a river or maybe escaped from a log raft? I'm glad our boats only do 6-7 knots. I've seen way too many of those things to ever think I want or need to go faster.  Force = mass times velocity squared.....

Stu Jackson

Craig, interesting observation about velocity impact on "force"  - ouch.

Velocity squared means:

5 knots = 5*2 = 25
6 knots = 6*2 = 36
7 knots = 7*2 = 49

Means those extra two knots DOUBLES the force! :shock:

Can't imagine hittin' one of those suckers at 15 knots or more!  :cry4`
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Hawk

..........It's a common theme here over the summer with power boaters knocking their whole leg off going over a log.
Mind you those logs are tough to see heading into a setting sun with a slight ripple.........even at 7 knots, never mind 15 or 20...keeps the local marine repair economy going!
Hawk

Hawk

Well I've come out of my close encounter of the third kind with a log - down $500 deductable but with a new ss shaft, cutlass bearing, coupler and a shiney renewed prop. Changed the zincs and painted the bottom while she was out. Runs smoothly, not better but not worse either.

Hawk

Ron Hill

Tom : If you haven't ever changed your injectors, I'd recommend doing so.

That should make your 4 cylinder engine run smoother.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Hawk

Thanks Ron.
Actually I meant the shaft and prop feel just as smooth as before. I was hopeful that the new ss shaft and cutlass bearing would work well. My engine really does run well but I hear you about the injectors......though not for a while I hope.
Hawk