GENOA TRACKS

Previous topic - Next topic

PAUL T.

I recently purchased hull# 766 in November, tall rig fin keel, 1988. The boat has a 155 roller furled genoa, I have been using the inboard genoa tracks successfully. What and when would you use the outboard track? Thanx for the help.....PAUL T.  "SEAESTA"

dave davis

Paul, you asked the guestion about when should you use the outide genie track.

If you see lots of backwinding of the main, you might try opening the slot by using the outside track. Another way to look at the same situation; if the winds are getting near the upper limits of your 155, you should be easing your traveller, when you ease the traveller, it closes the slot and causes more backwinding. So, go to the outside track.

The same goes fo your smaller sails. Your pointing should not be hurt once you get your sails trim in the new settings. At the most, very slightly.
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

cholder

The track on the rail is for your spinnaker gear.  Using track allows the spinnaker to be set with a sheet and a guy on each side.  The sheet is taken to a block aft while the guy is taken near the forward end of the track.

Don't worry about a little softness/backwinding of the main in heavy wind.  That happens regularly on any racing boat.  They'll actually allow the main to flog during gusts.  

When beating what you want is the genoa and main to act as a combined aerofoil much like an aeroplane with flaps deployed.  If you use the outer track for the genoa you'll kill the boats pointing ability. Open the slot by changing the car position and by flattening the main.

I suggest you read "Sail Performance" by CA Marchaq.

Mike Smith

I use the inboard track sailing upwind and the outboard track sailing downwind.  The sheeting angle seems better and the genny doesn't collapse as often.  For broad reaches and wing on wing, I have an extendable whisker pole for the genoa, but no spinnaker (yet).  

Breezer does not have a cheek block installed for the genoa track, so I have mounted the block from the outboard rail track at the aft end of the inboard track and run the sheet from the winch through it forward to the inboard block.  This keeps the sheet from contacting the cockpit coaming.  Works OK.  Does anyone have a cheek (turning) block mounted on their boat?  If so, where is it mounted (flat on deck, or vertical on the outboard side of the cockpit coaming) and, are you satisfied with it's performance?

Thanks

Mike Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com