need new exhaust riser

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Hill

Terry : The whole idea of a coolant recovery system is NOT to save coolant, but to purge air from the system and let coolant expand and contract by itself.  It also eliminates the necessity of ever opening the "radiator cap" to see if you need coolant to check the level. 
Also the one component of RUST (oxygen) is eventually purged from the system keeping your coolant cleaner.  A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

SeaFever

Terry,

I checked out the picture on Mains Sail's website that you may have seen. You may be correct, however, knowing Maine Sail, I am sure he has a expansion tank somewhere and the hose that seems to go down is then led back and up to a tank placed at a convenient location. Ron has explained the benefits of the tank quite eloquently.
Mahendra, Sea Fever, Pearson 10M, #43, Oakland, CA

Terry Forshier

I have purchased a coolant reserve tank from Auto pro at a cost of under $8.00 and plan to install it. I think it is a good idea just never had one before. I can see the benefits. When I get the riser back from Catalina Direct i plan to take the ends off the heat exchanger and clean that out then install the whole system with the reserve tank. I will keep everyone posted when i get there. Thanks much for all the data, photos etcv. i would never have figured this out on my own.
Terry

Terry Forshier

I just heard from Catalina Direct. It may take up to 4 weeks to get the new riser made. I had talked with them earlier and there was never any mention of this time frame. I am pretty disappointed as now it looks like the middle of July until i get going again. Too late to change now as i have sent them the old one all the way to California for a pattern. It would take another week to get it back then ?? to get one made here. Before you all tell me I told you so, I called several places in this area. they were either WAY more expensive ( $600 quotes) or had no idea of cost or what I needed and was asked to drive it up or across the state so they could quote it. A days time. Anyhow, heads up,  so you all know to ask time frame when you order from Catalina Direct.

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Terry,
Did you try Catalina Yachts Parts dept?
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ron Hill

Terry : So you aren't out of the sailing business for 4 months while Catalina Direct screws around making you a new one here's, what I'd recommend:

Take some measurements and make your self a black pipe exhaust riser 1 5/8" diameter.  Have a plumber cut and thread it for you.  Weld in a 5/8" nipple for the raw water, some insulation and you'll be good to go.  
Good luck - as making a black pipe exhaust rise is not that difficult!!  Infact all of the 1986 and some of the 1987 & 1988 C34s came from the factory with a black pipe riser.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788