USED 34 WITH LOW ENGINE HOURS - A GOOD THING?

Previous topic - Next topic

canuck

A buddy is looking at used sailboats in the 32 to 34 range. There is a 2005 C34 with 15 hours on the market. The boat has not been used and I feel this is worse than being used too much. If it is not used then it is not well maintained. What problems can be lurking within the beast? I would want to see service records detailing oil changes, zinc replacements (HX and prop shaft) et cetera. Comments?

Stu Jackson

Sounds like a bargain, a 5 year old boat that hasn't been used.  Go for it.  I would.  C34s are very hard to find.

See if you can learn why it hasn't been used.  Old folks, family issues, health.  There could be a good reason.

The systems need to be checked out.  Things to look for can be found here, click on "Why We Bought..."  http://www.c34.org/faq-pages/faq.html

For a checklist of things you need to look AT, click on the C34 Tech wiki link at the top of this page.  The wiki Table of Contents lists all the systems.  Review that and determine what you need to do in terms of this particular boat.

Everyone says "chainplates," so look at them carefully.

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

The only 2005 C34 I could find on Yachtworld is in Marina del Ray.  Looking at google, if that has been it's home, it is less than a mile from slip to the sea so not too much underway time to go sailing, may account for the low hours. 

5 years old.  I'd suspect the batteries are about shot. 
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Also a visual inspection of the engine by yourself or a surveyor may confirm if the engine has more than the indicated hours on it or if possibly the tach with the hour meter has been replaced.

Unlike the odometer on cars, I don't think that the hours on a boat engine are regulated but a log would nice if the owner has one.

Other than that, it sounds like a good deal.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

sail4dale

I bought my 2001 Mk II in 2002 and i only had 25 hours on the engine.
It was (and is) a beauty.  The previous owners were mainly sitting in the
cockpit using the table.  That had the worst wear on the boat.

It sounds like a "buy it now" opportunity
Cat34 Mk II True Luff #1582  2001
San Pedro, CA (Port of Los Angeles)

hump180

I also like to see some moderate use and good maintenance when looking at an engine. But having said that many of us on this board purchased our boats in different stages of neglect, with many of them (including mine) sitting on the hard for a year or two with no use. In my case just gave it 20 seconds of glow plug and away I went.
The boat your friend is looking is relatively new and should not have any problems that cannot be found in a good survey. Your friend should go for it if the boat is in good shape and the price is right.
Bill, Grace Under Pressure, 1990, M-25XP #1026
Western Lake Erie

Joe and Carol

A discussion with previous owners and a qualified survey should quite your curiosity. Some things could be stiff, stuck or brittle without being exercised.  I know of one C34 used for a floating cabin without mast installation and it's new owner tuned it into a sailing beauty.

The Universal Diesel is a good engine. Best of Luck! 
Joe & Carol Pyles

YatchaSea
1987 Catalina 34 TR
Hull #244

Sailing Stockton Lake, Missouri