Door Frame Removal

Previous topic - Next topic

horsemel

I am getting ready to replace my hot water heater with a new Seaward 6 gal.  In ready other threads I see that most just slip the old out through the side panel after removing the frame.  My frame has the teak plugs that need to be removed.  I have researched previous posts that say to use a dry wall screw and socket to back out the plugs.  Does this work well?  I did not see where anybody had actually tried this method.
Mark Mueller
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

Bob K

Mark, I just did that job a few weeks ago.  I did not use the drywall screw, though I think it would have been easier. I just drilled a pilot hole in the center then worked up to a larger bit size. Then I pried on the plug in the hole with a small screwdriver. They all came out easy.  The harder part is putting in the new plugs and making a smooth flush top. Better to let the glue dry before starting to chisel.
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

horsemel

Thanks Bob.  I'm gonna give the drywall screw a try and be prepared with your back up.  for future reference, When putting in plugs, get some longer than needed, cut them off about an eighth inch above the surrounding surface and sand flush.  I've done this a lot with making furniture projects and it works well.  It sounds as if you had no problem slipping in the new heater through the side.
Mark Mueller
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815