Atlantic Crossing

Previous topic - Next topic

yonar

Has anyone sailed cross Atlantic from any port in East Coast to any place in Europe (Mediterranean)? I am considering such crossing in June 2011. I am not sure C34 will be too risky. All my sailing experience is in West Coast "California – Mexico". Is there an ideal month or season for Atlantic crossing? I found attached article in Tech-Notes Mainsheet February 1991 page 3.  I tried to contact author of the article, however company do not exist anymore.

Bluewater sailing
Dear Herb,
I am writing in response to the letter, "blue
water sailing'' , from Dan and Beth Gammon that
appeared in your "Technical Notes'' section of
the August 1990 edition of Mainsheet magazine.
We are Catalina distributors in the United
Kingdom and have had some experience in long
distance sailing in both 34's and 36's.
Two C-36's were purchased by a local sailing
school in February 1989. The owner of the school
and some friends decided to pick the boats up in
Florida and sail them back to the U.K. These
boats were standard rig, wing keel models.
Although it was in February, by all accounts they
had a very pleasant, trouble-free crossing and
when the wind and waves did get up, the Catalinas
handled it with ease. Another sailing school,
this one in Scotland, (where the wind has been
known to blow a bit!) has a standard rig fin keel
36 that has already sailed from Oban to Orkney,
Shetland, St. Kilda and the Faroes.
As for the Catalina 34; our demo boat last year,
a standard rig wing keel model, competed in
numerous 200 mile plus races and the 1989 Fastnet
Race. During the Fastnet, a 610 mile race
across the Irish Sea and back, we had a very
comfortable ride, including 18 hours of downwind
spinnaker flying in 30-35 knots. At all times
the boat exuded a feeling of strength and confidence.
I have no hesitation in recommending
these boats for extended cruising, if you look
after one of these boats, it will more than look
after you.
If you or your readers require any detailed
information of the route planning, etc., you can
contact me or the following:
Mr. Alan Thompson
Chichester Sailing Centre
Chichester Marina, Sussex
PO20, 7EL England Tel: (0)243-512557
FAX(O)243-512570
I would be more than happy to meet any
Catalina owner who comes over this way and
help them out as best I can. If anyone is interested
in chartering a Catalina in the U.K., there are a
number available in various locations and I will
forward details if required.
Dear Alan,
Thanks for the excellent endorsement! We look
forward to hearing from you again.
Herb
Turk Yonar
1989 C34 Hull # 858
Tradewinds
Long Beach, CA

Rick Johnson

I know of 2 Catalina 34s that have sailed from the west coast of the US to Hawaii.  Several Catalina 36s have sailed across the Pacific and I know of one 36 that went around the world.  I have read the same letter in Mainsheet and plan on crossing the pond in my C34 when I retire.

Is the C34 a bluewater boat?  No.  Is it safe to cross an ocean in it?  You need to decided that for yourself (it depends on what you consider safe).   Can it be done?  Yes. 

Best advice I have seen (from the gentleman who sailed around the world in a Catalina 27) is don't overload the boat (keep it light like it was designed) and watch your weather window.  Stay out of heavy weather.

I've had experienced riggers tell me I'm gonna die and others ask why I don't want to cross more than just the Atlantic.  I'm sure lots of other members here will have other opinions.

Cheers,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Stephen Butler

Have thought about this for a few year's time, particularly after being caught in several heavy weather events in the Atlantic and Gulf and suffering some damage...so have another opinion to give. The C34 is not a blue water boat, period, in spite of the A classification, and some reasonable stability numbers.  If caught out in serious and/or prolonged weather conditions, I am sure the deck will stay on the hull, and the keel on the hull, and the mast in the boat, but after that, it would get dicey.  The hatches, particularly the front would not stand up to blue water pounding for long.   The cockpit drains are much too small (on a MK I) and there is no bridge deck to protect the companion way.  The rudder assembly is also questionable for prolonged stresses.  As for the rig, it would likely survive in one piece.  So, would I take a C34 or C36 across the Atlantic?  Yes, but only after some serious reinforcement and changes, and then I would still be nervous as h___, and constantly checking weather reports.  Just another opinion.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

waterdog

Too risky?   From what perspective?   Sailing across the Atlantic is risky.  As is driving to Philadelphia.   The middle part is OK.  It's the coasts that cause all the problems - that is where you will find the damn waves that can poop you and rocks to hole you.  

The C34 is an awesome vessel for crossing oceans from the perspective of a 1950's cruiser.  Now there are better boats.  There will always be better boats.   But the real issue is about how you prepare it and how you crew it.  

Yes.  You need to address the cockpit size / scupper size issue.   And at least 10 other issues.  You need to address the philosophical issues.   "Can I sail an ocean with a spade rudder?  Or do need have a full keel or at least a skookum skeg? "  If you get past the philosophical issue compare the cross section of the rudder shaft on a Catalina 34 with other ocean going spade rudder vessels.  Have an engineer calculate the loads for you.   You'll find that the C34 does not fall short.    

Go to Polynesia.  You'll find loads of boats that have crossed oceans that would gladly trade you for your c34.   Does that make it a good boat to cross oceans.   That's up to you.  

Valiant 40s have done more laps of the world than any other boat.    I've been aboard a Valiant 40 that I would not want to cross the Sea of Cortez with.   And a brand new one is not fit for crossing an ocean with the wrong crew.  

How do you like the sailplan?   How will you manage running off in 20 foot seas?  How will you slow the light boat down?  How are you going to steer it?  How are you going to deal with the small tankage?  What will you do with the big seas that want to fill your anchor locker and swamp your cockpit?  All these questions and the rest can be addressed.   And when you've addressed them, you are ready to go.  

Ask questions on the internet and you will be told you are an idiot for undertaking a manifestly unsafe voyage in a coastal craft.  You should have something with a full keel weighting 20 tons or more with a center cockpit and a cutter rig.  

But if you do go, you will have friends come aboard from their 40 foot center cockpit ocean crossers and marvel at the size of your cockpit, the space in your salon, and the huge berths fore and aft...
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

canuck

We just completed a 14 day repositioning cruise on Independence of the Seas which left Fort Lauderdale around April 10. A few days out we had 83 knots of apparent wind just off the bow and 16 foot seas. This was no big deal for a 120,000 ton ship with stabilizers. Russian roulette anyone?

Rick Johnson

Very well said Steve.

Quote from: canuck on May 28, 2010, 04:58:06 AM
We just completed a 14 day repositioning cruise on Independence of the Seas which left Fort Lauderdale around April 10. A few days out we had 83 knots of apparent wind just off the bow and 16 foot seas. This was no big deal for a 120,000 ton ship with stabilizers. Russian roulette anyone?

And I'm thinking the Catalinas, Tayanas and Pacific Seacrafts had checked their weather faxes and stayed in harbour.

Cheers,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Rick Johnson on May 28, 2010, 11:07:18 AM
And I'm thinking the Catalinas, Tayanas and Pacific Seacrafts had checked their weather faxes and stayed in harbour.

There is much to be said about NOT sailing on a schedule! :shock:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."