How Tall for Trucking?

Previous topic - Next topic

waterdog

Anyone have any idea on the height from bottom of a standard keel to the top of the coachroof / stanchions?   The truckers are competing for my business...

Thanks!
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Ron Hill

Steve : Why not ask Catalina, as they shipped MANY C34 and are sure to know the answer.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

waterdog

Quote from: Ron Hill on May 22, 2010, 07:21:13 PM
Steve : Why not ask Catalina, as they shipped MANY C34 and are sure to know the answer.  A thought

Because I'm anchored in Isla Del Carmen with near zero bandwidth.  I can't make a phone call and Catalina has a poor reputation for answering emails.    Whereas I know there are members on this board who have trucked, probably have the answer, and would gladly share it.   And the next person who has question will find the answer here.   
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Ron Hill

Steve : I've gotten a number of Emails from Kent Nelson at Catalina -- for what it's worth.
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Juul

Using the profiles of the hulls available on the wiki in the history section it looks like the height - bottom of the keel to cabin top - is between 12 and 13'.  Not real scientific, but it's a start.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Indian Falls

My boat is still on the hard and I could measure it for you.  When do you need to know by?
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

waterdog

Actually, I just hauled my boat to have the bottom done.  I'll measure it myself tomorrow.  Thanks though!
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

waterdog

Right around the the 12' mark at the pulpit.  It's an interesting excercise.  Actual height depends upon whether it leans forward or back.   
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

tonywright

I may recall this wrong, but I believe that when on the truck the high point on my MK II was the top of the steering pedestal.

Tony

Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Rick Johnson

Steve,

I know that I guessed at 12' when I was getting bids for my move from SoCal to Texas.  The trucker never said I was off and we cleared all the overpasses.

Are you having it trucked all the way back to Canada?

Cheers,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

waterdog

When I first posted this, it was plan B.   Plan A was Yachtpath who were going to load us aboard ship in La Paz and drop us in British Columbia.   They told us they had space.   We hauled out in Puerto Escondido for a bottom job and prepared to head south.   When they stalled sending me the contract and processing my payment, I asked them what the problem was and they suddenly didn't have space for me.   Very strange behaviour.  Not impressed.   

Now trucking is the way we are heading home.    We will haul out in San Carlos and truck across one border and splash in Bellingham wA.  Short sail from home.   We have no house to live in until August so we will cruise BC for a month or so...
Steve Dolling
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat