Selling--Advice Requested

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Vaccaro

Folks,

Thank you very much for the advice.  We do have the boat listed with a local broker, and have reduced the asking price...I'll also put some of the other thoughts posted here to use.   

I think one of the best features of the boat is the exceptional support offered by C34 Association.  Great folks, great resource for any one with or interested in the C34.  Thanks again.

Cheers,

Vac 
1988 C34 Hull #563
Std Rig / Wing Keel

Clay Greene

Sail Place, a Catalina dealer up here in Illinois and Michigan, has been advertising their interest in good used C34s.  No idea if it might only be for trade-ins or in favor of freshwater boats but you might give them a call.  I know that the used boat market is pretty good up here (a friend of mine had three offers on his Pearson 31 a week after it was on the market) and I had a broker stop and ask me if I was interested in putting mine on the market because he was convinced he could sell her quickly.  I have heard that Canadians have been coming down and buying up our boats because of the favorable exchange rate.  No idea if they have been paying in beer!
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

waterdog

We pay for them in beer.  Then we bring them down to Mexico and sell them for tequila.
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

canuck

The Canadian dollar has lost about 7cents in the past month. Coupled with transport costs, reriggging and buying away from home, my local broker says this is having a cooling effect on Canadian buyers. And if you want to finance a boat over 10 years old you better have equity in your house as they will not take the boat. Moorage is scarce and if you can supply moorage with your local boat you have a strong advantage in capturing the buyer.

Exodus

Mike,

I e-mailed you regarding your boat before I purchased a Catalina 34 that was closer to me.  I was looking at several online throughout the Southeast, but ultimately decided on buying the one closest to me. 

The distance factor and transportation cost were the reasons I decided not to pursue any of the others.  Sure I could have taken off work and sailed her back to TX, but you know what they say, time is money.

Mike Vaccaro

Folks,

Our boat is still on the market  :cry4`  We've reduced the asking price to $43,000 as of 20 July 2010.  We originally purchased her in 2002 and have spent over $30,000 upgrading and re-fitting her since then.  She's on Yachtworld, listed with a broker and available for showing/sailing any time.  We'll entertain all reasonable offers.  There are more details in the "for sale" section of this site as well.  I'm confident she's one of the nicest Mark I's on the market in terms of general condition and systems.  I'm befuddled that there's been almost no interest from any perspective buyers or any folks that might consider moving her to a new location??? 

Cheers,

Vac
Former C34 Tech Editor 

1988 C34 Hull #563
Std Rig / Wing Keel

Exodus

Wow!  That is a great price!!  If I were still in the market I would be paying you a visit.

Susan Ray

Joe and Carol have the right idea. Most people looking for boats look for boats at the dock in their area.
Too bad Terry formed an unfair opinion of all yacht brokers...I could quote you about realtors I have met!!... lazy, not punctual and spent most of the time talking about other homes they sold ..  but that would be unfair and limited to my experiences and I am sure there are some better informed, less opinionated realtors out there.... who even sell to lazy yacht brokers!!
Aloha, Susan
Rainbow Yachts
www.rainbowyachts.com
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii

mel low

We bought our 34 in March and put our 30 up for sale. We tried selling it our self but after reading this we got the Catalina dealer to list it. They have had it for two months with out any offers. They said it is the nicest 87 they have seen. It get a lot of looks but no offers.