Selling--Advice Requested

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Vaccaro

Folks,

We've been trying to sell our '88 Mark I for the past six months and haven't even received an offer of any amount.  If there are folks on the board in the market for a '34 or have sold one, I would sure appreciate your input/ideas/advice.  The boat is listed in the "For Sale" section of the website...here's the link:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5215.0.html.

I fully understand the state of the economy and the uncertainty most folks face, so fire away with advice! 

We're selling because of growing family commitments and the need to remodel our house.  There's no way we'll recover our investment (but it was worth every cent when you divide by the number of days on the water and multiply by the square root of perfect sunsets!), guess I'm just a bit taken aback that there is little interest in a boat that has been gone through completely--or perhaps there just isn't a C34 market right now.

Cheers,

Vac

1988 C34 Hull #563
Std Rig / Wing Keel

Ted Pounds

Mike,
Are you using a broker?  I used one to sell mine and she was worth her weight in gold.  :thumb:  A good broker will know how to present your boat, where to advertise and handle all the other details.  You might try contacting my broker, Jan Guthrie, and she may be able to refer you to a good broker down your way.  Her website is: http://buy-a-boat.com/  Good luck.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ken Juul

Mike,
I check Yachtworld.com at least every other week tracking sales pending notifications.  Over the winter there was maybe one boat sold a month.  Last month there were 8, so sales are picking up.  Current sales pending listing has an 86 for $35K, 87 for $40 & $51K, 88 for $31, $43, & $45K.  So your price is in the ball park for what you have done to the boat.  The extra exposure and buyers confidence afforded by a Broker might be the trick. It's a big purchase, think most people feel more comfortable having a broker sort through all the paperwork, etc.  But it does cost you the commission.  With the current slow market you might be able to negotiate a lower % since you have such a sellable boat.

Several "Looking for a C34" posts, have you contacted them directly with a sales pitch?

You might also offer to pick up anybody within one tank range that is interested in looking at the boat.  Couple hours alone in the plane is a great way to talk the boat up.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ed Shankle

Mike,
Interestingly enough, someone in my marina was asking me Sunday if I knew of any older 34's for sale. I'll pass your spec sheet along to him next weekend.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Tom Glennon

Ed.. pass along my contact info too ... Slowdance is an 87 standard rig fin keel located in Buzzards Bay
glennoli@comcast.net   I had the boat + pictures posted on the site, but they disappeared. I ahve pics I can email to whomever.  Thanks, Tom
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

Ken Juul

sorry Tom, I deleted your post due to its age.  Every 6 months or so I clean out anything that hasn't had any activity in several months.  I always give folks a couple weeks notice to update the post.  The easiest way is to just add a reply...still for sale, bump, etc. so it resets the counter.  Unfortunately your old post is not recoverable.  Feel free to post again, I won't delete without double checking.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Bill Asbury

Mike, I had my '91 C34 listed with a small two-man brokerage with no new boat franchises for some time without desired result, so decided to switch to largest local brokerage with several new boat lines in January.  They listed my boat on Yachtworld and it was under contract in March, so I recommend listing your boat with largest and busiest brokerage you can find in Pensacola, Mobile, Tampa/St.Pete or elsewhere, and think you should consider moving the boat to a larger market so it can be shown to more prospective buyers.
Good luck!
Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay

RV61

Mike,
I agree with all that is said here. When I bought used a broker and found the boat on yachtworld. I would only use a broker who subscibes to yachtworld as it is what the MLS is to realestate. The guy I bought from tried to sell himself with no luck and I bought within 30 days of him listing it with a broker. It all about exposure. Also a yachtworld subscribing broker HAS ADDITIONAL ACCESS an can show you history of sold boats dates listed, dates sold, list price and sold price and locations .
Rick
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

Ron Hill

Mike : If you haven't tried, post it in the Boat US quarterly. 
Ron, Apache #788

Steve S.

Mike - Just sold mine and I can't agree more with the advice given.  My best advertisement was right here on the web site, getting inquiries from Alaska, Canada here in the Chesapeake.  But I believe my best asset was not only using a broker, but one that specializes in Catalina's.   Catalina people tend to stay Catalina people, and therefore, will go to a Catalina dealer first.  The dealer will be able to provide a print-out listing asking and sales prices for every equivalent boat in North America.  Once that is done, you'll be able to see where your true price will land.   In addition, a broker knows 27 or 30 owners who may be looking to upgrade.   

One PR move that I believe helped was a youtube video my broker made.  The link was right on the Yachtworld ad and my broker could track who was viewing it.   I think that attracted more out-of-state folks.  ( I can't prove it.)

Also, divorce yourself from the boat a bit.  We all get a little teary eyed when we value our own boat.  Step back a bit.  I know, I know - its years of blood, sweat, tears, and more than a few expletives you've put into the boat, but the buyer doesn't see that.   The folks that buy are not unemployed, but they understand that it's a buyers market.   If you were in their shoes, you would feel the same way.

I just put new batteries and S-1 auto-pilot on the boat as I did not know I would be selling this year.  It was a bit tough. But in the end, I think the buyer got a good deal and I got fair price. 
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay

Stephen Butler

Suggest taking a look at Massey Yacht Sales and Service.  They are a BIG CY dealer in Florida and the C34's that appear on their listing only seem to stick around for 1 to 2 weeks before being sold.  Think they broker yachts on the entire East coast.  Hope this helps.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

hump180

This is all good advice - but to add one more thing that I have tried with other items - EBAY. Mike, you could list your boat on ebay motors for free. Although the items usually do not sell on ebay, in my experience the exposure has sold the items (boat, motorcycle, and a harley) indirectly. If I was you I would follow all the advice here, especially about a good broker (cant hurt). But also think about the ebay route if you want to get some quick exposure and many leads nationwide. 
Bill, Grace Under Pressure, 1990, M-25XP #1026
Western Lake Erie

Terry Forshier

I have never had any luck with a boat broker. I am envious of those who have. I am a REALTOR and know what it takes to sell. The boat brokers I have contacted over the years were lazy, not punctual and spent most of the time talking about other boats they sold or places they had been. I sold 2 boats in the last 2 years as "for sale by ownner" using free websites. One is www.sailboatlistings.com  : another was sailboattraderonline.com, another was the boatowners site for O'Day. (same as the Catalina site) I had lots of hits and calls and it cost me nothing. Go on these sites and see other boats like yours for sale. See how some pictures turn you off others turn you on. Check for prices in your location. (they differ)
I took great digital shots of the interior and exterior, the boat was clean and not cluttered with personal boating stuff. I made the boats look like new. I fixed all the little things on the boats that had to be fixed so i could say. "everything here is working" I got TOP dollar for everything I sold. I also sell boat stuff on Ebay and I watch the sales of other boats to see how much things are selling for. Everyone wants a bargain. So lastly, price right.  But be flexable and you can leave or keep optional things like the dingy, extra anchors, electronics etc etc. to fit someones budget.
If you are North this should be the beginning of your big selling season. Get your boat on the web today.

Stu Jackson

In addition to the obvious on-line places like yachtworld.com, try this, too.  Catalina Owners website is sponsored by a chandlery, but gets a lot of attention from Catalina owners who may be moving on up.

http://catalina.sailboatowners.com/index.php?option=com_adsmanager&Itemid=254
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Joe and Carol

Walk about the marinas looking for baby boomer's couples having a smaller Catalina who might want to move up.  Offer a flyer or sale bill to folks and ask them for word of mouth reference to any of their friends who are thinking about moving up to a Catalina 34 size and quality yacht.  It might take you a few hours, but you will meet nice folks and spread the word of your selling in a personal way.  Just a thought.  My family, coming from a history of sales always wanted to know who was in the wings waiting for something to move on the market or be offered up at a perceived bargain.  And, word of mouth, such as these postings, may be the least expensive user friendly, advertising there is.  Good Luck.
Joe & Carol Pyles

YatchaSea
1987 Catalina 34 TR
Hull #244

Sailing Stockton Lake, Missouri