reeling line for roller furling

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

My Harken roller furling winds counerclockwise. With the window on the port side, this means that the line makes a 90 degree turn as it comes out of the drum and heads down the port side of the boat. Does it make sense to move the reefing line to the std side or simply move the window further  away from its port side orientation.  I am attaching the handwritten diagram of how the roller furling drum is currently set up.
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

SeaFever

Hi Cliff,
It would help if you post a picture. I having a hard time visualizing the line making a 90 deg turn after leaving the furling drum...Also not sure how it will help switching to STA. Generally things are laterally symmetrical, so you may end up having the same issue on STA side...

If you post a picture we may be able to help better. Just my thoughts.
Mahendra, Sea Fever, Pearson 10M, #43, Oakland, CA

Ken Juul

Clifff,
If the attached diagram is what you are trying to describe.  Then we still need some more info.  Does your furler have the rope guide on an arm attached to the furler base?  Which side is it on?  Can you get a straighter pull if you just adjust the window position?

Has it always been this way or did you have to change the drum wrap direction because of a sail change?
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

crieders

There is no guide on the Harken. I am not sure if it was this way before the mast was put back up 2 seasons ago but I have been having problems since then. I will post a diagram that I made.
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022