Another hard to reach spot (M35 HX zinc access)

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Asbury

Just acquired our '05 MKII w/35hp engine this spring and haven't been able to inspect the HX pencil zinc  yet because it's too tight a space in which to turn a wrench.  Wonder if someone out there with a MKII can tell me how they do it.  Special wrench, perhaps?  
Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay

Tom Clay

Bill,

I use a short box end wrench and go through the access panel in the rear birth. You have to do it by feel, and only get about 1/4 turn at a time. Once it is loose enough I turn the rest by hand.

Good Luck
Tom and Lynn Clay
2006 34' Hull #1760......Somewhere
Olympia, Wa.

Bill Asbury

Thanks, Tom.  With your guidance and encouragement I was able to get the job done, tho it was a very tough nut to crack loose.  No zinc left, so don't know if it was ever replaced.   Will open and clean HX.
Bill 
Bill & Penne
Chesapeake Bay

Ron Hill

Bill : There are two straps that are bolted to the rear of the engine that hold the HX in place on a M35BC engine.  I found that by loosening those 2 bolts, I could slide the HX to one side and make easier access to the pencil Zn much easier.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Bill Asbury

Thanks, Ron.  Got the pencil zinc out with no zinc left, looking like it was just melted down into the nut, not broken off.  Removed paneling behind engine so have clear access to HX, etc.  Regards to Phyllis.
Bill
Bill & Penne
Chesapeake Bay

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Bill,
On my M25, I can reach over the engine from the front to get at the zinc, but I'm not familiar with the M35.
Have you tried this?

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Bill Asbury

Thanks, Mike.  Traded a '91 C34 with M25XP engine for the MKII and had no problem getting to the HX zinc on the M25XP.  The M35 HX zinc is very hard to get at in comparison, which may be why it had never been changed out!
BTW, my 14 year old grandson Brian will be here from San Diego for two weeks in June so we'll be sailing, fishing, crabbing, swimming, etc.  Sending him to the Annapolis Sailing School for lessons as well.  He and my son have been kayaking out of La Jolla Shores for some time.
Bill 
Bill & Penne
Chesapeake Bay

Hawk

I can reach over my M35 engine and over/under the HX to get at the zinc. But it would be tough to get any significant leverage if the nut was really on there.

Hawk
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

reedbr

I go in from the bottom on my '97 MkII.  Remove the forward half of the aft cabin cushions, remove (or just lift and prop) the big board under the berth covering the stuffing box.  I can't see the zinc bolt, but I can feel it and stick a standard socket wrench up there and take it off easy.  I can't seem to find short zinc's, so I measure depth with a pencil, eraser end in first.  Hacksaw the new zinc to that length and assembly is the reverse of removal.  The first time it might be handy to look up there with a mirror first to get an idea what you are dealing with.  I keep an old compact mirror in my toolbox for this sort of job.  10 minutes including hacksaw time.  Every boat is different though.  If you have fuel or cooling lines hanging low, this method might not work.   
Brian Reed
1997 C34 mkII "Ambitious"
St. Mary's River, MD

Bill Asbury

Thanks, Brian.  I was able to get at it from above and below with a 9/16" racheting wrench.  Was hard to break the nut loose because of not having been removed before.  Cleaned out the debris and installed the new zinc, but had to cut off some with the hacksaw as you did in order for the zinc to fit.
Bill & Penne
Chesapeake Bay