Propane Tank

Previous topic - Next topic

jsbbritt

Does anyone know where I can obtain a new propane tank (8lb. capacity) that will fit in the C34  propane locker and will also meet the new overfill guidelines now in effect.  I am unable to get anyone to refill my current tank and have as yet been unable to locate a new one.  

Thanks

SteveLyle

Ken Juul

Been struggling with the same problem.  Luna Loca is was built in 90.  I have the small locker with the 1 gal bottle (about 4.5#).  Looked at upgrading to the 11# bottle per Ron Hills suggestion in the Tech Notes, but the lazzarette  hatch is not large enough.  I found replacement bottles at my local gas store.  Also found them at a couple RV places.  Have not picked it up yet.  I have heard it will not fit into the existing locker, but that Seaward has new lids that they sell at cost to make the conversion.  I have not yet verified this.  Should have enough gas to make it most of the summer, will tackle it this fall/winter.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

jentine

I just ordered a new tank from www.go2marine.com. It is priced at $122.22.  The information doesn't show but I have a 1992 Catalina, 1207 with a walk through transom.
 Overall Size (Width x Height)    
   20292    93131   2.5 gal   10-3/8" x 17"    

Jim Kane

[This message was edited by Jentine on July 15, 2002 at 06:22 PM.]

mike baker

I had the same problem on our 1988 Catalina 34.  Seaward sold me a replacement lid for the propane locker that allows the new higher tank to fit.  Extremely simple fix and the small tank lasts us at least all summer.

Mike Baker #815 "Gray Hawk"

Stu Jackson

Jim

I assume you've used the message board search engine under "propane" to find the earlier posts that will answer this question.

Ron Hill has answered this very same question MANY times.  Look for his responses.

Try also the C34 website's (separate) search engine.

Asked and answered.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

karista

Just bought a new tank at the local propane supplier for $37 total (filled). It is a Worthington 4.5lb steel tank called "camp Mate" it is 12 inches high and 9 1/8 inch dia.
The original tank is also a Worthington 4.5 lbs. so I assume this new tank should fit.
Bernd

Fulvio

Talking about the 1 gallon/4.25 lb tank:  the newer tanks with OFP device are a bit taller than the old ones.
At Sure Marine they told me that you can make the old locker lid fit, if you saw the inside molded panel away.  They said that that's exactly what Seaward is doing to give you "new" fitting lids.
I haven't verified yet, because I'm still consuming my older tank fill, so I didn't have a chance to play with the new tank I bought.

Fulvio Casali
Seattle WA
Soliton
#929 (1989)

mike baker

The new lid from Seaward is not an old lid with the insides cut out.  The underside of the new lid is molded specially for the new taller tank.  This is so simple a solution to he problem I don't know why anyone would even consider anything else.

Mike Baker #815 "Gray Hawk"