I pad/ phone navigation

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Forshier

I went to the apple store last night to see how the new 3G ipad looked and worked. It is an amazing little gadget. However, i am wondering about using it for weather and quick view navaigation use with the Navonics app that you can download for about $10.00. (please don't start with the "use paper charts and don't rely on this etc etc) But for coastal cruisning in relatively familiar water it looks a lot cheaper to use than a chartplotter with the weather add on. Plus you can pull up google earth, see the bottom contours, and an actual picture of the area you are in using the 3G internet access. Instant weather is available with radar views and storm tracking. I know you need to have a cell tower available but most coastal area have this. to about 20 or 30 miles out.  At a minimum of $15 month for 3G usage this looks like quite a great boaters tool. ( plus email, plus internet access etc with the #G.) I know several people using their i phones with this but the I pad is so much easier to see. (with older eyes)  Anyone besides me considering this?

sailingdream

Get the following and your set.
http://www.amazon.com/TrendyDigital-WaterGuard-Waterproof-Cover-Border/dp/B00373LR68

The 3G version does have GPS and Wifi doesn't. Would be a great option if it did. If there was a way it could be mounted and waterproof and have the Nav apps, it would be a awesome device at the helm.

rirvine

This is a great idea.  I have been using MacENC on a MAC laptop you years.  MacENC is now available on the iPhone and iPad as iNAV - yes it is $50.00 but IMHO is by far the best of the bunch.  Also look at MotionX ($2.95) before making a decision.

Ray

Bob Kuba

I would be remiss in my duties if this was not mentioned.

Current state of the GPS Satellite System
Worries about the GPS system arose in May 2009 when the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) released a report saying, "It is uncertain whether the Air Force will be able to acquire new satellites in time to maintain the current GPS service without interruption. If not, some military operations and some civilian users could be aversely affected."  

The satellites have a limited life, typically seven to ten years. There's no practical way to fix them once they break. Of the 59 GPS satellites launched to date, 31 are still operating. Of those 31, 17 are past their life expectancy - the oldest was launched in 1990.

The problem is that 24 functional GPS satellites are required for complete global coverage. With 31 still beeping, we've got plenty of spares for the moment. However, due to a combination of schedule slips, construction problems, and cost overruns, we haven't been launching new satellites fast enough to replace those likely to fail soon. The GAO estimated that that over the next four years or so the probability that at least 24 satellites will remain operational will be less than 95 percent, at times dipping as low as 80 percent. Having something less than 24 working satellites would mean total system failure.

24 hours after the report was released, the Air Force responded by saying that "going below 24 won't happen". This was followed up with a plan to move spare satellites closer to those expected to fail, improving current coverage, minimizing outages, and buying time to get new satellites aloft.

Bob Kuba, C34IA Past Commodore

jkar

I second the iNavX comment.  I have both, the Navionics got me on price, but stinks when compared to iNavX.  The iNavX will "cache" maps, so if you lose cell coverage, you still are OK. Plus for me the big draw was that it can be used as a repeater for my MacENC which is constantly running below.  The developer is a sailor and answers tech questions himself.  Plus the version that runs on the iPhone works on the iPad and he is working on a native iPad version that will be free of charge to current customers.The iPad is on my list, but not until the second generation, purely for non-sailing and tech related reasons.  When I do get it, I am going to outfit it with this:

http://www.otterbox.com/ipad-cases/ipad-defender-series-case/

While not "waterproof", I have their defender series for my iPhone and have never had an issue.  Never went swimming with it, but rain and boat spray have been just fine.(not to mention all the winter/snow antics I put it through)  There are plugs to cover all the openings(still allows use through them for volume/home/sleep) except the bottom speaker and mic.  If it gets real wet, I have just put "black" tape across it.  Two years now and still going strong.

Joel

Terry Forshier

I found out a few things I did not know yesterday at the Verizon Store. According to Verizon the I-pad 3G is a prepaid service agreement. this is why you can choose your level of usage from $15 to $30. per month , canceling or adding months and service for 3G service through AT&T. This seems great but according to Verizon when you do this you may only use AT&T towers for service as the other providors are not obligated to "share" unless you are under a long term contract. They said this means that there will be lots of places where the ipad will not be accessable to the internet or 3G service. this will make a huge difference for coastal cruisers I think. Anyhow, I think now I will wait till June 7 to see What Steve Jobs says about the new i phone and maybe using other carriers.

Joe Kern

Some screenshot grabs from this weekend's sail from iPad Navigation software called Charts by EarthNC. 
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

scotty

I understand the value of using apps for navigation.  What I don't understand is how they would get comprehensive coverage in coastal areas.  I often sail between San Francisco and Santa Cruz.  There are several large areas when I get no cell coverage.  Are the newer phones stronger at receiving, or are people considering it OK to have areas where they have no navigation coverage?  It seems prudent to have a GPS ChartPlotter as a back-up.
Scotty

BillG

Scotty, I've been a user of a MAC and GPSnavx and think it is great.
With the 3G ipad, if you load InavX into the computer, charts are then downloaded into the Ipad and
it uses the built in GPS to track your location.  I don't believe it relies on cell towers, although I think they call it
a "GPS assisted" unit which means it can  use other cues such as cell towers to speed up  determining your location.
I don't think the wifi models have GPS.
Bill
Rock Hall, MD

Joe Kern

Bill is correct.   It does not need cell towers for the gps function.   As long as the charts can be downloaded then it will work.   I think of it as a good back-up for $9.99 including all US Charts updated every 7 days.   If they add the Abacos I will be set.
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

rirvine

The WIFI only version of the iPAD does not have any GPS support.  The WIFI / 3G version of the iPAD has GPS using either the cell towers and the GPS satellites. The iPhone 4 has the same arrangement. 
The cool application on the iPhone is Motion X.

Ray

Joe Kern

I have continued to use EarthNC on a number of test sails and continue to be impressed.   For very little money I feel like I have a very accurate and easy to use color chartplotter back-up.  And now just 2 weeks before we leave for 2 weeks cruising in the Abacos they release all of the Bahamas charts.  I have already downloaded the various charts so i won't need any wireless or cell coverage and will now be covered including the Gulfstream crossing and all the Cays down to Elbow Cay in the Abacos.   Better than the handheld black and white which was my previous back-up.  It now is in the ditch bag in case I need it.

Also found a very inexpensive Anchorwatch program for the iPad which I will be using when on the hook. 
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl