Hours meter

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

Ok, slap me silly and call me Susan; but, I keep seeing posts with x number of hours on the engine. As a pilot, I'm use to that as there is a HOB Meter on the instrument panel. However, there is no such device on any of the instruments on Kitty's Cat. Can someone PLEASE point me in the correct direction. :?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

steve stoneback

Lance,
Our hour meter is in the tachometer.  Maybe you don't have an OEM tach.
steve
Steve Stoneback
Grasmere
1989 #918
Lake Oahe Pierre, SD

Stu Jackson

Lance, Steve's right.  The OEM tachometer has the engine hour meter included.  Many folks have had to replace their tachs.  It's somewhat hard to find a replacement tach with the engine hours included unless you go to Teleflex directly, or to Seaward, for a replacement combo unit.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Steve McGill

Lance,

Attached is a copy of my 88 panel, I pulled this when I was changing the wiring harness and the amp meter. Cleaned and replace with a volt meter. I believe that catalinadirect.com currently has the tach for our boats with the hour meter.

Steve
CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD

pablosgirl

Lance,

My PO added an additional hour meter after the one in the OEM tachometer quit.  He placed it in the aft locker on the port side, so I have to open the after locker to check the hours for maintenance intervals.  Not too much a bother, Since the tachometer still works and a replacement one is $120 from CatilinaDirect.

Also, I have a friend that has taken this a step further.  His large hunter has both a diesel auxiliary motor and generator.  He has mounted two hour meters in the breaker panel by the nav station, one for the engine and one for his generator to make it easier to keep track of engine run hours.  Since both draw fuel from the same tank, he also uses the hour meters to calculate fuel remaining from the run hours.  He did this after running out of fuel one day trusting the fuel gauge to be accurate.

Paul
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP

SeaFever

Is there a way to reset the hour meter(inside the tach), that Steve has shown, after a rebuild?
Mahendra, Sea Fever, Pearson 10M, #43, Oakland, CA

Ken Juul

I haven't had one a part, but if it is like an odometer the number wheels rotate on a thin metal pin.  Remove the pin, rotate the number wheels individually to the correct number and reinsert the pin. Depending on which way the pin comes out, start at one end and do the wheels one at a time sliding the pin back in to hold each one as they are adjusted.  The hardest part is getting the numbers to line up straight, usually takes a couple tries.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Lance Jones

Thanks for the info. I evidently have a replacement tach. :thumb:
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ken Juul

As far as the resetting after a rebuild, a log book entry may be easier.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

SeaFever

Mahendra, Sea Fever, Pearson 10M, #43, Oakland, CA

pablosgirl

Does anyone have the "rebuild" procedure.  I would like to give it a try and see if I can get the hour meter to work inside my existing tach.

Paul
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP

Ron Hill

Mah & Paul : The OEM Teleflex tach (flat glass face) on a C34, is not rebuildable and cannot be reset back. I asked this with Teleflex that question.
I'd guess that if you connected it to a 12v source and let it run 24/7 it will eventually will go back to OO.OO.   A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Would it go any faster at 24 V or 120 V?!?   :shock: :abd:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Stu : "Would it go any faster at 24 V or 120 V?!?"

Don't think so - after it stops smoldering !!!
Ron, Apache #788