Reverse polarity warning light poblem

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayne

Twice now my reverse polarity warning light has come on while plugged in at my berth.  In both cases turning power off and then back on made the red light go away.  I have occupied the same berth for three years; don't know of any changes in the marina's electrical system,  nor to my boat's 110 system.
Any ideas and advice will be greatly appreciated!
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

Ken Juul

may be some corrosion or a failing shore power cord.  Inspect the cord for burn/hot spots on the plugs, replace if you find anything. Give both recepticals/cord ends a good shot of contact cleaner and work the plug in the socket to clean.  Hope that helps.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

Whenever you have any electrical problems, whether AC or DC, check the connections first.  Experience indicates hat the connections are usually the "prime suspects."

It's always helpful to have a portable reverse polarity plug in light available from ACE hardware.  Whenever you're seeing something weird with your built-in light, plug into a receptacle and check it out with the portable meter.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Wayne

Hmmm.  I've been reading in the 'search' files, too.  Since this problem has just popped up in the last month I'm wondering if all the extra moisture in the air could have caused a little corrosion on my plugs and/or receptacles.
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

Roger Blake

I've had similar experiences...everytime it is a loose connection between shore power and the boat. The retaining ring on the shore power cord does not always properly engage the threads on the boat connection, so the cord works loose...then the light comes on.
Last Call
1998 C34 MK II
Hull #1414