globe impeller for oberdorfer

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve S.

Any one have the part number handy?  I've searched the site and can't seem to find it.  815?

Thanks
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay

Ron Hill

Steve : You are correct, it a Globe 815 impeller. 
Ron, Apache #788

mel low

Quote from: Ron Hill on April 19, 2010, 05:30:47 PM
Steve : You are correct, it a Globe 815 impeller. 
[/quote
Do you also have a part number for the two seals?

Ken Juul

I'd ask during the order process to make sure, but the gaskets usually come with the impeller.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

mainesail

Just a heads up..

I've tried the Globe impellers but found them very problematic. Below are some quotes and photos from another forum. My failures were the center hub spinning free of the blue impeller. This was a tough one to trouble shoot as it looked fine. The next one the tolerances were off ever so slightly and she would not "prime".

Images courtesy P. Shed

Quote from: P. Shed
I was removing the sea water impeller from a M25  this morning . I do it each fall after haul out. To my surprise the  impeller was cracked on every vane. This impeller was new this spring.  The one I took out was a rubber type and was still like new but was old  so changed it out .  This is a # 815 .  I would say there are only 35  hours on this impeller.

I will be taking it back tomorrow. Also going back to rubber type (black)

Sorry the pics are not the best

Images courtesy Bottomscraper:
Quote from: Bottomscraper

I have been using the Globe Blue Run-Dry™ Impellers for years and I have been very happy with them. I usually remove them at the end of the season and they look almost new with a little discoloration. This year every single blade was cracked. I did notice that this year the center appears to be plastic rather than metal like the older ones. Here is a picture of the impeller I removed today after 1 season (about 120 hrs). It has never run dry.

It appears that they have changed materials and that these impellers are now junk. I guess I will be going back to the black ones also. Too bad they had a good product. I was considering using their motor mounts but I think I will look elsewhere.

Just an FYI that the Globe impellers are NOT all they are CRACKED up to be..:D
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

prh77

I have found the Oberdorfer pumps to be picky about impellors. I just purchaced impellors from Depco and the pump would not prime. Installed old unit and worked fine. This has happened on other pumps at different times. I always check the gasket and " wet sand " the pump body and plate on a surface plate. These pumps just seem sensitive to production tolerences on different impellors.
Peyton Harrison Hull # 597 1988 "Trinity"

kurt

I as well had an issue of occasionally failing to prime at all or taking some time to prime with the globe impeller on the oberdorfer water pump.

Went back to oem impeller and priming problems ceased.

Kurt

Ron Hill

Mel : On the two lip seals, tell DEPCO that you have an Oberdoffer (5 mounting holes, but only 4 are used) and they will know which seals you need. 
Look in the Mainsheet tech notes, as I written a couple of articles and how to change out those seals.  :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Steve S.

2 seals?  Maybe mine is different but the only seal I see is the paper gasket.  (which I have).  Am I missing something?
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay

Ron Hill

In all fairness, I found that the Globe impellers are more reliable in my limited 20 years of experience with them.  I believe that I first recommend them in the Mainsheet tech notes in the early 1990s.  Overall I have found them to be more reliable and not shedding a blade or two.

As you can see from the pictures that Main Sail has posted - at least all of the blades are still there - no hunting for the missing blade/s.

I have always been a firm believer that most of peoples impeller problems are caused from - NON inspection.  I have always recommended that owners remove the impeller for winter storage or inspect it once a year.  Bend the blades and look at the area where the blades join the hub. You'll see the cracks if they are there.
Another trick to get a more reliable OEM impeller - is to spray it with silicone and store your extras in a ziplock after spraying them with silicone.  Silicone makes "rubber" products stay nimble.

A few thoughts   
Ron, Apache #788

Ron Hill

Steve : You need to read my articles and look at the internal breakdown of an Oberdoffer pump.  You see the two gaskets (one on the face plate and another on the engine) and the two lip seals along with the carbon bushing etc.  

You can also find a parts break down in your owners engine manual.   
Ron, Apache #788

Steve S.

Hey Ron - I now know what you are referring to.   However, I've searched for about 45 minutes and cannot find any of your articles.  The search function in the tech notes just keeps sending me back to the forum discussion and the wiki says its only for group users, whatever that is.   

Could you do me a favor and email me at sshnitzler@yahoo.com?

Thanks
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay

Stu Jackson

Steve, go to Tech Notes Online and do "The Knowledgebase" -- it's a spreadsheet.  Use Ctrl-F to search the Knowledgebase which will find Ron's Oberdorfer articles.  The right side of the spreadsheet has the links to tyhe Tech Notes.

Try this for more How To details: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3362.0.html

Reply #4 discusses your issue.

Happy Hunting.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Steve S.

Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay

Ron Hill

Steve : If you look in the May 2002 Mainsheet issue C34 tech notes you'll find my article on rebuilding an Oberdoffer pump and how to make a special tool to remove the lip seals. 
Ron, Apache #788