Valve between water tank and water pump

Previous topic - Next topic

mel low

I'm a new owner of an '86, and trying to clean up some things I can't figure out in the wiring and plumbing of the boat.  QUESTION:  Is there any reason to have valves between the water tank and the water pump? Is there a reason to separate the water tank?  Was this a factory install or done by a previous owner?

Roc

You probably have two water tanks and the valve is used to use one tank at a time.  By shutting one, you only use the water out of one of your tanks. 
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ken Juul

Since the tanks don't have guages and are not really visible for checking the water level there are a couple schools of thought. 
1.  Fill both tanks.  Close valve to smaller front tank.  When back tank is empty, you know you have 28 gals in the front tank.  Time to fill.
2.  Fill both tanks.  Close valve to back tank.  Use front tank.  When empty gravity refill from the aft tank.  Close front tank valve.  Use back tank until empty, then proceed like one.
3.  Leave them both open and fill the tanks every chance you get.

The thought behind #2 is if the front tank is never really emptied the water may get a bit stale or skunky.  The keys to keeping fresh water fresh; keep the system clean, proper chemical treatmen and use the water.  Don't forget the hot water heater.  To keep flow through it I almost exclusively use the hot water tap when ever I use a facet.  Only exception is when the tank is full of hot water, then I keep it for washing etc.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

Mel,

Welcome and congratulations on your new boat.

Ken's right.  We use #1.  The factory did it that way.

You should be interested in the Manuals section of the website:  http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Manuals
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Bob Kuba

Welcome and congrats on the new boat!

Many members have moved the location of those water tank valves to a more accessible location.
After getting down on your knees, and reaching to the back of that cramped area a few times, you'll know what I mean.

This project and many more are located in the Tech Notes section.
Welcome aboard!

Bob Kuba
Bob Kuba, C34IA Past Commodore

Lance Jones

OK Bob, you got me curious....
Where did you mount that?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

Lance, isn't the (???) pump kinda a giveaway?   8)
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Bob Kuba

That mount is in the second bilge compartment, on the starboard side, just above the bilge pump.
I am sitting at the nav station looking at the bilge area aft of the mast.

Isn't that a clean bilge?
Is it elbow grease? or is it photoshop?  :-) 

Ron Hill

Mel : The reasons that there are shutoff valves on each water tank should be evident by all of the above posts.
In your case (1986) I believe that you have a starboard tank and a bow tank.  I believe that I'd use the bow tank until it "spits" knowing that you still have a full starboard tank.  If you look in YOUR 1986 owners manual it should tell you the capacity of your tanks.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

horsemel

We don't use the aft tank and only use the starboard tank.  We are not cruising for extended periods and sail on the weekends.  We have to fill the tank more frequently, but always have fresh water.  The PO never used the aft tank either.  In fact, i wonder if it has ever had a drop of h20 in it.
Mark Mueller
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

Bob K

We try to keep the starboard tank filled to keep the boat balanced better (reduce the port list).  So we use it as the reserve (second) tank.  It seems to get emptied often enough to keep it fresh.  Also always add a half cap of bleach to each tank when filling to help in that area. 
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

mel low

Quote from: mel low on April 16, 2010, 11:22:34 AM
I'm a new owner of an '86, and trying to clean up some things I can't figure out in the wiring and plumbing of the boat.  QUESTION:  Is there any reason to have valves between the water tank and the water pump? Is there a reason to separate the water tank?  Was this a factory install or done by a previous owner?

Thanks, guys.  Appreciate all the input.  Decided to leave the valve as it is and just enjoy the boat.  Bob, is that a check-valve in front of your discharge hose for your bilge pump?  If so, where'd you get it?  I had thought to do something similar.

Bob Kuba

Mel,

Yes, that is a check valve I found at West Marine.
I know there are varying opinions on their use, but I like the fact that the bilge stays a little drier. Just another thing to winterize I guess. I've had it in for the past four season and haven't had any problems.

Jeff Kimbel

Bob - that's a beautiful bilge....  Where can I buy one of those???

:?

Ron Hill

Jeff : That's what a dripless packing gland does - for the bilge !!   It also eliminates the "boat smell".  
Ron, Apache #788