removing bedding compound from the bilge

Previous topic - Next topic

Indian Falls

I wish I could find out the logic behind smearing "handfuls" of bedding compound around in the bilge in my 90C34.

I found upon my last visit that diesel is leaking into the bilge from the engine.  About 1.5gal in 2 weeks.
I closed the valve on the tank, which I should have done after winterizing, add it to the list. 

I think this event saved me from a diesel spill after getting back in the water.

Now for the cleanup, I sopped it all up and found that the diesel is dissolving the copious amounts of compound which are neither dissolved all the way for easy removal nor left hard enough to peel off in hunks.
Who would have done such a thing!?  What a mess.  I've searched the forum for compound removal tips and I've also searched the compound mfg'rs for cleanup tips that may apply to this situation.  I have to rebed the keel bolt washers, yes I have the cracks, smile, etc. and it does leak into the bilge from that.  But I would really like to remove the diesel soaked bedding compound with something other than more diesel.  I wanted to use a heat gun but now that fuel is involved I'm a bit concerned.

Any suggestions?
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Ted Pounds

May not be leaking from the engine.  Good possibility it's coming from the tank.  When it happened to me it was corrosion pin-holes in the bottom of the tank.  Might be time for a new tank?  Just a thought...
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Indian Falls

The hoses that lead to the engine filter are leaking (I hope).  It's all wet there on top of it and the side of the block is wet also.(2 leaks?) Closing the tank valve stopped the leak or I would have another gallon of fuel in the bilge.  Whatever leaks into the fiberglass form under the engine is able to leak out of it through small cracks I suppose.  The area around the tank is dry as a bone, and there is no fuel in the puddle that forms under the transmission.

It's that miserable "chewing gum" stuck all over inside the bilge that is the crux of my problem. 
I tried some mineral spirits as a solvent and used a coarse scotchbrite pad, didn't seem to help.   
I hope acetone isn't the only solvent that will eat that stuff enough to get it off.  There must be something safer/better. 

I realize that normal use of this compound does not put you in the position to dissolve large amounts of it.
You just scrape it off or if it doesn't all come off, put some over it and put your thing back together. 

Since this stuff is largely dissolved in diesel now, I'm inclined to get it out of there.  I don't want to smell it and I don't want an oil slick when the bilge pump runs.

Hopefully somebody out there has seen this or stumbled on a product that eats this stuff.

Thanks!
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Stu Jackson

Whatever leaks into the fiberglass from under the engine is able to leak out of it through small cracks I suppose.

The secondary (engine) fuel filter is on the starboard side.  The hoses that run to the hot water heater go through two big holes in the sole of the engine compartment on that same side.  That may be where the diesel is getting through, unless you have a hole in the forward end of the fiberglass drain pan directly under the engine.  Some folks argue against this, but when my alternator bracket went and the alternator smashed into the oil filter, I'm glad my PO had drilled a hole, because the oil ended up in the bilge, not all across the saloon sole.

Dan, as far as solvents go, since none of us, perhaps, knows just what material you're trying to remove, it is difficult to give you recommendations on a solution.  My first guess would be to use acetone, but now you've gone and said you don't want to.  I'm not sure what to tell you (?), other than try a few different products and see what works, including acetone - open all the hatches and maybe even run a fan.  Doing all that will at least clean up the diesel...
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

SeaFever

Hi Indian Falls,

Since we cannot find exactly what bonding material it is, how about you use some kind of a scraper or chisel to remove it once and for all? I recently had to remove an old battery box from the engine compartment and used a combination of screwdriver, chisel, scraper and pliers to to get under the Fiberglass cloth. Once underneath it was comparatively easy to rip the same from the plywood (in my engine compartment).

In your case it is some kind of bonding material as you describe it. If you can get to the layer between the fiberglass and the bonding material, you can wedge a scrapper or something and slowly leverage the material out. If it is softer because of the diesel, it should not be that difficult. If it was hard I would suggest grinding it down. Just some thoughts.
Mahendra, Sea Fever, Pearson 10M, #43, Oakland, CA

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

I would try WD 40 first as a safer alternative to acetone and at least see if that works. It doesn't smell too bad and supposedly is biodegradable.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ron Hill

Dan : Step number 1 is to make sure you stopped the fuel leak.  Some Kleenex around every fuel hose and filter joint will be a tell tale.

Some of the best bio degradeable stuff that I've found is low sudsing dishwasher detergent - does a great job of cleaning the bilge and cutting oil/fuel .  Then you might try a heat gun (on low!) so you can scraper out the large residue!   A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788