Flex-o-Fold Folding Prop

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Shankle

Clay,
Sorry, I didn't see your additional question above. The dealer said the spec was a 9 pitch, but that since I had a 10 on my fixed with no problem, he said we could go with 10. Also, as I noted above, he said it could always be adjusted in the water if for some reason the 10 was too much.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Clay Greene

Thanks, Ed.  I got much the same advice.  I am going to go with a 15x 10 and hope it works.  Switching out those blades in our cold Lake Michigan water does not sound too appealing! 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

hump180

Just installed a 2 blade flexofold prop and wanted to note some observations to the board, especially for those that are interested in folding props. I decided on the 2 blade flexofold because of cost/performance reasons - being that it was the lowest cost ($1000) while providing good performance under sail and power. My original prop was a 3 blade fixed pitched to 10". New prop is a 15x11x2 flexofold.

Now for the observations - reverse power = as good or better than 3 blade 15x10x3, prop walk = improved, forward = better, sail speed = better. I believe this prop is very well mated to the M25XP. I showed 6.4 knts GPS at 2500RPM which equates to about 75% power for my boat. Reverse showed less propwalk and is powerful, but takes a bit more throttle to get there. We sailed in light winds and made a consistent 3.7 knts in 5 knts true/7.3 apparent which is an improvement for us.

Now for the bad, slightly more vibration while motoring with this 2 blade vs. my previous 3 blade. Hopefully its not cavitation. I am going to align the shaft this weekend and see if that gives any improvement.

Overall great performance and easy install, the blades are very efficient for power and sail. 
Bill, Grace Under Pressure, 1990, M-25XP #1026
Western Lake Erie

Dave DeAre

I have had a Flex o Fold 3 blade prop on my Mk 2 with M35B for 4 years. Originally purchased the 15 X 10, but found it overpropped. After much discussion with the Flex o Fold rep, I purchased the 9 pitch blades and switched them out. The original 10 blades could not be repitched to 9. Am happy with the 9 and would sell the 10 to any forum member interested.
Overdue
2002 34, roller main, tall rig
Burnham Harbor, Chicago

Clay Greene

Want to report on our first experiences with the Flexofold prop.  We went with the three-blade, 10 inch pitch.  The recommendation from the Flexofold representative was for the 9 inch pitch based on our engine (M25XP).  However, based on the input from other owners on the site and the fact that our old prop was 10 pitch, we went for the 15 x 10. 

Installation of the new prop was very easy.  As promised by the sales representative, the hardest part was getting the old prop off.  That required quite a bit of effort with a puller.  Once the old prop was off, the new prop went on in about 20 minutes. 

The performance under both power and sail is pretty amazing.  Under power, we are at least a half knot faster in forward.  We can get up to 3000 RPMs with no problem with black smoke or temperature issues.  At top end, we're burying the stern in the water and reaching close to hull speed. 

The performance in reverse is also very impressive.  I can now back in a straight line in relatively low RPMs.  I previously would only go sideways until I got a good bit of speed up.  It has taken some adjustment, though, because I previously had to steer to starboard to reverse in a relatively straight line out of the slip and now that actually causes the boat to turn to starboard, a completely new phenomenom for me.  Imagine that - the boat actually going where you steer in reverse. 

It also has taken a bit of adjustment while docking.  I previously could count on the drag of the prop to slow the boat in neutral.  She just is not slowing the way she used to anymore.  I've had to start using more reverse earlier on in so I don't scare the neighbors.  Not a problem, just an adjustment. 

The performance under sail is exceptional.  We were hitting 7.2-7.4 on the GPS in 18 knots apparent from a beam reach.  Never seen that before.  The sound of water rushing by at the stern was very loud. 

So, not to sound too much like a Flexofold salesman, I am very happy with this purchase.  This is by far and away the best boat purchase I have made in terms of improving performance under way, and that includes the sails I have replaced and the asymmetrical spinnaker I purchased.  Also, if you are interested in this, remember that Flexofold gives a "boat show" discount to C34IA members so that is yet another reason that the membership more than pays for itself. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

crieders

I have one for many years. Love it but it will wear your Cutlass bearing out more frequenlty; probably because of the additional weight of the hub.
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Stu Jackson

It also has taken a bit of adjustment while docking.  I previously could count on the drag of the prop to slow the boat in neutral.  She just is not slowing the way she used to anymore.  I've had to start using more reverse earlier on in so I don't scare the neighbors.  Not a problem, just an adjustment.  

Dave, you can also slow by taking the engine out of gear.  We coast into our slip from 300 yards out.  Little or no reverse needed except for the final stop which uses port prop walk to bring the port side to the dock after a tricky 90 degree turn into the slip.  OK, OK, sometimes the wind and current, both normally 90 degrees from the axis of the boat in the slip, can make things interesting.  What a neat work: "interesting"   8)
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

sail4dale

I have had a Flx0fold for about 7 years.  So far still with the original cutlass bearing. 

What kind of life have you the jury had with that bearing?  with a folding prop and with a std three blade?
Cat34 Mk II True Luff #1582  2001
San Pedro, CA (Port of Los Angeles)

Mick Laver

Hi all,
I'm also going to replace my fixed 3-blade with a Flex-o-fold 3 blade. I replaced my fixed 3-blade with a 2-blade Flex-o-fold on my 1985 C30 and it was one of the best upgrades I ever made, both for sailing and performance under power.

There seems to have been a lot of discussion about the recommended pitch on the C34, with most folks opting for the 15x10 for the M25XP. Flex-o-fold recommends the 15x9 for the M35B (which we have), which to me is a little counterintuitive. Since the M35BC has 10hp more shouldn't it be able to handle a the higher pitch better? OTOH if running the engine at 3000 rpm vs 2600 rpm doesn't make that much difference on wear or fuel consumption, wouldn't the 9 be a better choice for low-speed control?

I know this is an old thread, but I'd certainly appreciate the group's opinions. Thanks.
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

Jim Hardesty

I changed to a Max-prop.  I call it the best sail change I ever made.  First set it at 9.2 inches.  It worked but felt a little under pitched.  I changed it to 10.3 inches the next season (the next adjustment up).  Works real well, but if I could would try 10.0.
Yes, slow speed is faster.  Need to slip in and out of gear to go slower than 2 or 3 knots.  Also, prop-walk is more with the higher pitch.  It's not bad, just something you have to work with.
Hope this helps,
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

sail4dale

I went for a 15 x 10 and havae no  problem with it . I can motor at 7 knots plus if the water is calm.  I can not get higher RPM than 2800 however any more throtle just smokes.  My fuel consumption averages about .6 -.7 GPH.  Love the prop but be surf to change the prop mounted zinc regularly.  I tink it is ideal for a 35 engine
Cat34 Mk II True Luff #1582  2001
San Pedro, CA (Port of Los Angeles)

Craig Illman

Mick - The M35B requires less pitch because the gearbox has less reduction than the M25XP, therefore turns the shaft faster.

Craig

Mick Laver

Craig, all
Yes that makes sense. I didnt even consider the different reductions.

I'm going with the 3-blade 15x9. Since I can make hull speed with either the 9 or 10 pitch the 9 makes more sense for my situation.
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

Indian Falls

I'm reading this thread with reckless abandon... ok... let me rephrase that.  I'm quite interested in getting a folding prop also.  Can I point out that through this entire thread people seem to think that pitch is INCHES. 

It's degrees right?? 15 x 10 prop is 15 INCHES in diameter by 10 DEGREES OF PITCH.  Correct me if I'm wrong.
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Dave Spencer

Dan and Dar
Pitch is in inches - It's the theoretical distance the prop would move in one rotation assuming no slip.
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario