Honda generator and mounting boxes/installation points

Previous topic - Next topic

britinusa

I'm in the process of installing AC on Eximius and will be using our Honda EU2000i Companion generator.

Jkar, did you ever complete the 'box' or platform for your Honda?

Thanks.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

bayates

We have had a 2000 for 6 years and it is great. We have a 2000 MKII so it fits in the port locker no problem. No matter what you do make sure you can secure it so it will not grow feet. I am looking at having a stand build out of SS to install in front of the mast to put it on when at anchor. It will have rubber bushings to damper the vibration. They are very quiet so not worried about noise. Will lock it to the stand and mast.
Brian & Pat Yates
Hakuna Matata
2000 MKII #1517
San Diego, CA

britinusa

I have seen a couple of boats that have their generator in use on the cabin top, but am always surprised.

My concern is the risk of CO building up in the cabin.
True, if there is plenty of wind, and at anchor, the dilution is probably ok, but still a risk.
and if the A/C is running then all ports are probably closed as would be the companionway entrance.

Osha, (SWMBO) would not sleep for fear of CO buildup.

So my plan is to mount the Generator on the seat behind the wheel and have some kind of cover/box to ensure that the exhaust is exported over the stern.

Hence my question about box construction.

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Roc

Hi Paul,
Buy a bunch of CO detectors and mount them around the inside of the boat.  This way you can rest more securely about CO making it's way in with the generator.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

britinusa

LOL, we have a CO detector in the Cabin, we just have to remove the batteries when we leave the boat empty at the dock! The gas from the batteries sets off the alarm!

My wife is a (retired) CCRN with 30+ years in nursing, she has seen the consequences of CO poisoning. It's not nice.

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Roc

Having false alarms makes it difficult to know when a problem is really happening.  Does anyone know how to stop the battery gassing from tripping a CO detector?  Or are there some CO detectors that are less likely to be triggered by such a situation (like fire detectors you can buy that are more suitable to be placed near a kitchen or stove and won't have false alarms).

mark_53

Quote from: britinusa on November 10, 2015, 05:32:44 AM
LOL, we have a CO detector in the Cabin, we just have to remove the batteries when we leave the boat empty at the dock! The gas from the batteries sets off the alarm!

I would double check with another alarm that it is not a CO buildup using another brand alarm. I leave my CO detector on at the dock and battery gassing has no effect. My understanding is that batteries will give of hydrogen not CO. Either hydrogen buildup or CO can be serious.
Mark

Noah

Paul- i agree with you concerns about generator exhaust fumes posing a hazard. What I wonder is if there are some other issues at work with your particular CO dectector and/or your charging and battery system as well. I have a CO detector  in salon and aft cabin as well as a Fireboy fume dector in the bilge, and flooded batteries, and have never had a false alarm issue. Maybe I'm just lucky?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

There was a report a few years ago from Michael in Canada who had detector issues.  He traced it down to both bad battery and charger issues.  I'll spend some time and find it.  Normally, regular charging shouldn't be doing that.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Roc

For fire alarms, and maybe the same holds true for CO detectors, is if the sensor accumulates dust, it can trigger the alarm.  That's why it's suggested to vacuum the alarm and clean out the dust inside.

britinusa

FYI, the CO detector started false alarming the first night after it was installed.

I'm paying very close attention to Jon W's thread on his Electrical Installation. But that's another thread.

Sticking with the issue for the Generator and keeping CO out of the cabin. Things to address include reducing the itch to have someone else taking a liking to our Honda, Keeping it dry, CO over the stern, and happy wife.

8)

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Stu Jackson on November 10, 2015, 09:54:56 AM
There was a report a few years ago from Michael in Canada who had detector issues.  He traced it down to both bad battery and charger issues.  I'll spend some time and find it.  Normally, regular charging shouldn't be doing that.

Here's the link.

CO Mystery:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4313.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Noah

Really, Stu! 5 pages! Still not sure what solved "the mystery". LOL!  Bad battery charger?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Noah on November 10, 2015, 06:50:59 PM
Really, Stu! 5 pages! Still not sure what solved "the mystery". LOL! Bad battery charger?

That's what I remember.

I did a Member Search on "Michael" and found this post.

There may be more from him.

I'll keep looking, but we all can as well.

Ken Juul

When is the generator going to be used?  probably at anchor or on a mooring.  Unless you are in a bad current situation, the stern will be down wind.  The shore power connection is in the stern, put the generator somewhere in the cockpit with the exhaust pointing aft and CO build up should not be a problem.  If the current is the overriding concern, move the generator so the exhaust is pointing down wind.  You probably have a 50" shore power cord so it can go anywhere on the boat.  My H2000 has lived it's whole life under the cockpit table just in front of the pedestal.  Still plenty of room for the Admiral and I to eat at the cockpit table.  If we have guests it gets temporarily moved somewhere out of the way.  In use it points aft out the walk thru transom with a short pigtail to the shore power inlet.  I use a cable bicycle lock to secure it to pedestal and had the pedestal cover enlarged to cover it when we are not on the boat.  In 8 or 9 seasons it has yet to grow feet and walk away. Under way if there is enough wind to sail, CO will not be a problem, if there isn't enough wind, the motor will be running (except racing) so it won't be used.  If racing in a low wind situation, brief the watch standers about the dangers, if they can smell the exhaust, then either move the generator or move the crew out of danger. Lets not make a mountain our of a mole hill.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA