washing mattress covers

Previous topic - Next topic

cmainprize

Has anyone washed the fabric covers used in the veer berth or aft cabin?  The fabric used to cover the foam mattress's in our berths is different from the salon cushions.  I think many boats were done this way.  Just wondering if we can throw the covers in the washing machine and hang them to dry or if they shrink?

Thanks in Advance.
Cory
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

Jim Hardesty

Cory,
Haven't washed the covers on my Catalina.  But on my previous boat I did clean the fabric parts using a home drycleaning product that was on the store shelf by the regular washing soap.  Just spot cleaned then put in the dryer with drycleaning sheets.
I should say that the fabric was good quality with little use but was very dirty from 15 years storage.  I was very pleased with the results.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

tonywright

To be sure that they won't shrink, I recommend hand-wash with Woolite in lukewarm water.  We did this with great results on the fabric covering of all of the upholstery on a previous boat, and no problems at all with shrinkage or colour loss.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Footloose

I have never washed the covers on my cushions, but I have used the upholstery hand tool that comes with a Rug Doctor rental with good results.  No need to remover the covers and they are dry in a couple of hours.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain