Battery placement

Previous topic - Next topic

markr

Where are people installing extra batteries?

I have an engine and a house battery. I added another to the house battery to make a house bank of 2 batteries. All three batteries are in the battery locker below the seat just forward of the galley sinks in the salon. I have noticeed talk of more bateries and wonder where people are finding places to put them.....curious, thanks.
All who wander are not lost.

cmainprize

Markr
Our house bank consists of four golf cart batteries under the seat forward of the galley and a start (emergency) battery under the starboard settee just forward the house bank and water heater.  Mk11's do not have a water tank in this location so this might not work for you.  We had to add about 5 feet to the battery cables to make it work.  We increased the cable size to 2/0 at the same time. 

Cory
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

Fuzzy

Markr:
We also have an '87.  We have four golf cart batteries in the factory battery compartment under the settee directly in
front of the galley sink area.  Installed a maintenance free auto battery (the starting battery) under the aft berth directly
behind the engine/transmission.  I think it's on the port side of the drive shaft.  That location is fairly close to the starter
and worked out great.
Larry
Larry G. Trumble
East Jordan, MI
Katarina
1987 #475

Ron Hill

Mark : If there's space that a battery will fit in, MK I C34 owners have installed them there! 
The more popular places are - under the aft cabin settee (if you don't have CNG), fwd of the starboard water tank, on the aft cabin shelf above the engine, over the steering quad. in the aft locker (if you have CNG), glassed in area aft of the engine, in any of the salon/Vberth/aft cabin hanging lockers !!
Each of the places I have mentioned have their own adv. / disadv. !!

There is no school solution!  Your boat, your choice. 
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

And in the forward part of the saloon just forward of the mast.  Just a thought.

PS - I discount the placement of a reserve battery "closer to the engine to assure good starts."  That's unnecessary with the proper wire sizing, although the space is good for a battery under the smaller "hole" in the aft cabin, just as you raise the cushion.

Check out the electrical tech wiki, or the old "Projects" page by going to "C34 Home" at the top of this page and scrolling your mouse over the compainionway or the forward hatch for Projects and the old FAQs.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Stu Jackson on March 28, 2010, 06:41:47 PM
PS - I discount the placement of a reserve battery "closer to the engine to assure good starts."  That's unnecessary with the proper wire sizing, although the space is good for a battery under the smaller "hole" in the aft cabin, just as you raise the cushion.

Check out the electrical tech wiki...

Like this one, with a picture or two:  http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Slow_or_Difficult_to_Start_Universal_M-25XP_Engine
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."