batteries and battery charger

Previous topic - Next topic

ed webb

Ah spring is in the air here in Michigan and a young mans (and old mans in my case), fancy turns to ...sailing. Since last we spoke I have found myself unemployed and completely disinterested in spending any money on my summer home/boat. However, I have thought all winter about my battery problem, trying to come up with a solution.

When last we spoke I had enquired about the propane alarm. I have since ruled that out. Being a REAL MAN, I don't need to read directions, at least not until I have screwed up what ever I am working for the third time. So I got out the owners manual that I had never bother to look at, for the above stated reason, and found some paper work related to the Promariner battery charger. As it turns out, the alarm that I heard going off was not the propane alarm, but the high/low voltage alarm. I only know this because I recognized it from it's picture on the literature.

As I posted back in October (seems so long ago), when I brought the batteries home and removed the cover, there was a black residue on the inside. This I think can be explained as the overcharging of the batteries, which would contribute to their early demise. The alarm was telling me that the batteries were no longer capable of holding a charge.

So here is my question. Does anyone have a strong opinion regarding the type of battery to use, That is to say a specific brand, or would any deep cycle battery be fine? I am looking to replace the Promariner, and I am considering disconnecting from shore power when we leave for the weekend, although if I don't find work soon the weekends may be much longer than in the past. I am also considering John Nixon's direct connect for the fridge.

Ed

Paulus

Hi Ed,  I put 4 golf cart batteries in my boat 5 years ago and they are still going strong.  We spend 3 months away from the dock in the North Channel. Hope this my help.  Located in Muskegon.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Fuzzy

Ed:
I was just going to post a reply to your question when Paul replied with the same thing that I was going
to say (go with golf cart batteries).  I put 4 in two years ago and have been very happy.  Got them at
Sam's Club for less than I could find anywhere else.
Larry
Larry G. Trumble
East Jordan, MI
Katarina
1987 #475

ed webb

How large are these batteries? Do you keep these in individual plastic containers or did you come up with different storage system?

Thank,
Ed

ed webb

Paul -  Where do you store Cool Change? We are at Great Lakes Marina

Stu Jackson

Ed, please review the C34 Tech wiki from the direct link at the top of this page.  There's tons of information under electrical and batteries.  Many have photos.  Four golf carts ift perfectly in the standard battery box forward of the galley.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

ed webb

Thanks Stu I'll check it out. by the way how the ski season this year?

Ed

Stu Jackson

Best snow they've had in years!

Too bad there wasn't as much snow on January 15, 2009!

"I'd rather be sailing..."  And this past weekend I was!
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Paulus

Hi Ed,  I am at Torresen Marine, send me a email and perhaps we can meet in Muskegon.  I usually go once a week this time of the year.  The golf cart batteries fit in the spot in front of the galley.  A perfect fit with a few spacers.  Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Ken Heyman

To echo Stu and others---lots of info on our site (forum knowledge bases- all inclusive). You will see specific recommendations of the Trojan 105s (if i recall the product number correctly). I went with 4 of these Trojans( two banks each wired in series and then paralleled at the selector switch when appropriate) and this is my fifth season. We are on a can and the last few years have trickle charged them with a solar panel (Soleil -15 volt 1.5 amps - 22.5 watts). We leave them on the boat in the winter(saves my back) with the solar panel still connected. In that the panels are under a plastic tarp (somewhat transparent) they don't charge efficiently but those electrons dance a bit and some topping off does occur. The batteries have measured (unloaded), , voltage at 12.45 volts ,in the dead of winter, and we will give them a spring AC charge before launch. We are very happy with this arrangement. The Trojans are a tad more expensive than other golf cart batteries but, I feel, worth the additional expense.

Good luck,

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Kyle Ewing

Ed, I went with 4 Trojan T105's 7 years ago.  They seem to hold a decent charge still but I'm sure they're tired compared to new batteries.  I'm considering proactively replacing them this year.  New ones are $130/each.

I priced Sam's Club golf cart batteries at $73/each but don't have specs on them.  I've read good things about the batteries on line, including Larry's comment below.  I realize that cost/amp over the life may be less if they fail earlier, but if I get 3 good years out of them it'll be close. 

I have a Truecharge 40 that I installed with the batteries.

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

Bill Asbury

When I bought my '91 C34 in '05 it came with 4 Trojan T-105s and a start battery.  The T-105s were 8-9 years old and still functioning but decided to replace them with new T-105s and am a believer, with no problems since '05.  Am trading for an '05 C34 and in time will replace the two 4Ds on boat since new (100# each) with T-105s plus a start battery.  New boat has a Charles charger with which I'm not familiar having had a Xantrex Truecharge 20+, so perhaps someone with experience can be my guide on whether to replace the Charles charger.
Thanks,
Bill
Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay

tonywright

Congratulations on the trade-up! 

The Charles on your model is a good three stage charger. But it lacks a battery equalization function.  So I have just finished installing a Truecharge 2 (40 amp) in order to get that function, as well as a remote panel.  (But be aware of the challenge of hooking up the AC to the Truecharge as per my earlier post. The Charles has a much better AC hookup). I have also added a Victron battery monitor.

My preference is Rolls/Surrette batteries. They have the best track record for longevity (a seven year warranty), and the model that I have is modular: six mini batteries per unit. They come with their own battery box, which can be held down by the stock battery 2x4 lumber, with a minor adjustment to the hold down brackets. I also screwed in some angled aluminum bars on the plywood platform supporting the batteries to stop any sliding around.

I did have to cut a piece off the battery lids in order to accomodate all of the heavy duty (1/0) wiring attached to the terminals.

That being said, a pair of Rolls/Surrettes costs probably double that of a set of 4 Trojans?

Tony

Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Bill Asbury

Many thanks for the info, Tony.  Have heard of but not seen or priced the Rolls batteries but have heard that old saying that if you have to ask the price of a Rolls you can't afford it.  Will consult with my marine electrician before deciding on what to do and have him do the install.
Best wishes,
Bill
Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay