Ray Marine Smart Pilot X-5

Previous topic - Next topic

kevMar

I am going to be installing my Smart Pilot this weekend... if anyone has had one installed or installed it them selves are there any hints as to making it better install?  where did you put the Course computer, the Flexgate Compass, and controller... Thanks for any input or suggestions.....  i have a 1988 34 catalina  # 615

Ken Juul

Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

cmainprize

Check out this months SAIL magazine.  They just did a 3 page article of how to install one.

cory
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

Ron Hill

Kev : I've noted all the places that people have put the flugate compass, etc. 
No body has ever mentioned the void space at the rear of the port side locker.  There is a piece of plywood (removable) that "squares" off the rear of the inside.  The molded seat goes aft and then angles to the port side - that space underneath is empty and you can run wire to it from the engine instrument panel !  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

hump180

Here is my install behind the port cabin setee. This is a wasted space that is close to the panel, yet far from magnetic interference. The course computer is in the first coaming away from the nav table. I cut, glued and painted some wood shims that I attached to the hull with 5200, then the computer was screwed to the shim base. The shims allowed me to mount the computer within ten degrees of vertical as instructed. the fluxgate compass is in the next coaming forward and mounted to the bulkhead facing forward with the wires ran over the top and back to the computer.
Bill, Grace Under Pressure, 1990, M-25XP #1026
Western Lake Erie

Terry Forshier

The directions with the autoplilot say that the compass should be near the centerline of the boat. I do not know if it is imperitave but this install is off their recomended grid. Terry

markr

I recently posted about my install of a raymarine linear drive below decks autopilot:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5518.msg34324.html#msg34324

The fluxgate compass and brain box and common to the linear and wheel drives. I installed the compass into the bottom of the hanging locker just aft of the nav station, just forward of the head. As you look into the locker, it is right down low on the left (or aft) side of the locker. It was a pain to screw in, but it works. This is a low position, below the waterline, and very close to the centreline of the boat. It is far enough away from the batteries and the engine. I think it is a good location.

I put the brain box in the aft lazarette, screwed to the bulkhead on the other side of which is the hanging locker in the aft cabin. This was close to the install of where the linear drive is so it helped when I ran all the wires (the linear drive goes out to starboard of the quadrant).

Having installed a power cable and then the NMEA cable for the Rayarine A50 mounted on the pedestal, I can tell you that it was an emotional experience! I drilled holes in the side of the pedestal and fed in the wires, then removed the cover in the aft cabin that is over the base of the pedestal. There are just a couple of hold in the base of the pedestal so with an LED flashlight in my mouth I performed keyhole surgery through the base of the pedestal with a wire coathanger and finally managed to coax the end of the wires out so they could be led aft into the lazarrette.....
All who wander are not lost.

kevMar

thank you for all your input....  any hints on comissioning ???

Wayne

I just had one installed on my boat (didn't want to tackle it myself).  Read your owner's manual; the commissioning stuff is pretty simple.  Under dealer setup you need to tell your unit a few things about your boat (like, it is a sail boat!!!).  You need to swing the compass.  The autolearn is amazing--it seems to get the settings right for the 'Catalina cocktail' that was a pain for many with the 4000 series.  Your unit will automatically set the response level at 5 which will have your little servo motor noisily running all the time and driving you nuts . . . try setting to 4 or even to 3.
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

I set my response at 1 or 2 and it still worls great.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

kevMar

Auto pilot installed and calibrated    Works great   thanks for all suggestions and help....   i dont know how i ever managed withoiut one..