Flexable Coupling

Previous topic - Next topic

cmainprize

After reading all the posts on this site we decided to install a flexable coupling.  I went with the federal-43A.  This coupling was a direct replacement for the stock coupling.  The shaft did not require any modifications and the prop remained the same distance from the strut.  This coupling also allowed enough space for the PYI shaft seal. 
We purchased the coupling directly from federal in Florida.  Including shipping to Toronto it came to around $275.  It came with the required hardware, including the bolts and grub screws.  I think that is what the screws that go into the shaft are called.

The boat won't be back into the water for a couple more weeks, so I can't say if makes reduces vibs or not yet.  We also changed our cutlass bearing and installed a feathering prop (from a folding) so a totally accurate report is unlikely.

Just wanted to let everyone know how straight forward the install is with this model.

Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

Ron Hill

CMAIN :  Most of the flexible couplings that I familiar with (and I'm sure the Federal is the same) state that you need to get as close as possible - an alignment with the hard coupling.

This means that you need to get the boat in the water with the hard coupling attached, let the boat hull be "cradled by the water" & flex back to it's normal position, have the rigging tuned and get the hard coupling alignment.  THEN remove the hard coupling and install the fed. flex. coupling.     A thought
Ron, Apache #788

cmainprize

Ron
I did the alignment prior to pulling the boat.  Should this suffice? 

Thanks Cory
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

Ron Hill

Cory : Yes, it should if all things (especially rigging tune) remained the same . 
Ron, Apache #788

mainesail

The Federal coupling is not AT ALL like the PYI or the Drive Saver. It is a very unique coupling in that it is steel and looks like a standard solid coupling except that the center hub is separate from the flange and is held in by rubber bushing on four pins. Still want to align it as best you can though prior to use..
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/