C34 Displacement (weight)

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Hill

Guys, Susan and D. Gill : There have been a number of posts on the weight of a C34.
In a recent post Paul Leible is going to have the yard weigh his boat when it goes back into the water in May. 
I have a word of caution: All State laws require cranes and other such heavy lifting construction equipment to have their strain gage/s calibrated every year or two - for safety reasons.  This calibration insures the operator doesn't overload the lifting device and cause an accident (ie. crane topples over!)  Apparently this law doesn't apply to travel lifts (that I know of or it isn't being enforced).  Most boat yards (in Virginia anyway) have broken strain gages or they have never been checked.  So the weight that they give you for each sling could be suspect. 

The bottom line is if you want to really get a good weight for your C34, you need to get a son-in-law State Trooper to arrive at the marina - with a TRUCK Weigth Scale!!  They use those gadgets to weigh trucks and impose overload $$ fines!!  That's as close as you can get to a correct weight. 
A consideration.    :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Rick Allen

Thanks Ron!

My boat is going back in the water on Thursday, I'll have the lift operator give me the weight and we'll see how accurate he is.  I'll also ask if the lift has been calibrated lately....
Rick Allen, C34 IA Commodore
Former owner of "PainKiller", 1988 C34 MKI, Sail#746, std. rig, wing keel.

cmainprize

The factory brochure did not change the displacement between the mk1 and mk11.  Does this seem possible?  I would assume the mk11 is a little heavier considering the how much farther aft the beam is carried.

Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

Gary Brockman

When my boat was hauled for my last bottom job, the yard said that the boat weighted 13,600 lbs. This was before installing four T-105's.

Gary
Squall
1986 Hull #231
Tall Rig/Fin Keel - Elliptical Rudder
M25XPB - Flexofold 2 Blade 15x10
Marina del Rey, California

Stu Jackson

That's not  fair :abd:, Gary!

You bought the LIGHT batteries... :D :D :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Rick Allen

Well my 1988 C34 "PainKiller" weighed in at a whopping 22000 pounds today!!  Lol.  But then the lift operator said he could be off by 3 or 4 thousand pounds!  He said the "light" boats barely register on his lift!

Here's a quick youtube vid of her finally getting wet today:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4rTrjvQbmo

Rick
Rick Allen, C34 IA Commodore
Former owner of "PainKiller", 1988 C34 MKI, Sail#746, std. rig, wing keel.