What size microwave

Previous topic - Next topic

Roc

I'm thinking about adding a microwave in the galley.  I was planning on installing it in the center cupboard, which is where Catalina puts it as an option.  Took measurements of the allowable space, but haven't found a unit that will fit.  Those of you that have a microwave installed in the cupboard, what model do you have and where did you buy it?  I already searched the message board and projects page.

Thanks for the tip...

Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Jim Price

Lady Di is a 1991 model so specs could be a little different.  I mounted microwave in cabinate space above refridge box.  I had to trim top edge of cabinate to get unit installed (Need larger hole for unit feet clearence).  I also made a plywood template, about 5/8" and drilled recesses for microwave feet so unit sits flat on plywood.  I screwed plywood into floor of cabinate in EXACT position for feet to set into.  After sliding unit through opening and sitting into recesses I added a small strip of teak at top to cover my triming and to create a "lock" on the top of unit.  It cannot slide around or tilt out and microwave door swings fee.  Also, forgot, the sliding doors are removed permently.

Unit:  Samsung; model MW640WA; 650W; 0.6 cu. ft.:  digital controls; revolving turntable (will hold standard size plate); Purchased from K-Mart for about $60.00 (GA)

Works great at shore.....
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Alohman

We have 1986 model and our microwave is mounted under the companionway stars flush with the back of the cockpit.  It sits on the top of the shelf above the engine in the aft cabin.  On newer C34's that shelf in the aft cabin lifts up for engine acces I believe, but not on our model. If saving cabinet storage is an issue, this might be good location.

Donay's Dream I

I recently purchased a 1999 C34 out of Florida.  It came with a microwave and air conditioning.

The microwave is a Samsung Model: MU 350W.  The approximate dimensions are 12" deep, 18" wide by 9-1/2" tall.

The microwave is mounted above the fridge and stove between 2 small cupboards.

Let me know if you want more details.

Ian
Donay's Dream I

casaheck

We have a GE, Model JES636WD, installed in the center cupboard of our galley.  Our boat is a 2001 model (#1587), similar to yours.  Dimensions of the microwave are 18 5/16" wide, 9 5/8" high, and 13 3/8" deep.  It has 650 watts power.  We bought the microwave at Wal-Mart last week (07/02/02) for $49.

bill hendrick

After reading the responses to this question, we decided to add a microwave to our Lady Di, which is a 1988, hull #596.  The cabinet above the refrigerator was much to small for the unit that was mentioned by the folks who own the other Lady Di!!  The shelf is only 81/2 inches high inside the cabinet itself, so even if I cut away the facing on the cabinet, I would have had to lower the entire shelf.  So, we built in a shelf under the nav-station and it worked out very well.  The unit listed works very well and it fits there very nicely.  It is interesting that for a production boat, the size of the cabinets would vary that much.  The other problem was the cabinet was only 9 inches deep, so the microwave which is 12 inches, actually 13 if you include the back which is not flat, would have stuck out into the galley.  So, if anyone else has an 88 or older Cat 34, recommend you double check the size of the cabinet. I too have seen in the newer boats that Catalina puts the microwave in that cabinet and then has a small compartment on either side, so they must be making that cabinet much bigger than in the older production boats.
Bill and Diane, Lady Di, #596

Stu Jackson

The interior cabinetry arrangements on the C34 has changed over the years.

One of the most popular microwave installations on the older boats has been to remove the small drawer under the galley sink and put the microwave there.  The drawer can then be reused, we put ours under the V berth, now have two drawers up front.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Roc

Thanks for the tips, everyone!!  I found a Samsung, model MW640WA at Kmart.  Put it in the center cupboard.  It fits perfectly!

Roc-
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD