Catalina Cushions for Dinette

Previous topic - Next topic

foobie

All:

I know there have been lots of threads re: replacement of the dinette and settee cushions. Please forgive me if I am being repetitive with this post.

We have a 1988 and the interior seating has seen it's day come and go a loooong time ago.... I was wondering if anyone had recent experience buying cushions from the factory? Can I get swatches for the Admiral to inspect? How much did the cushions cost? Was the quality up to snuff?

We have pretty much decided to use the factory option just to eliminate the guess work of picking a local shop to do new upholstery. That said, I can be dissuaded of this notion if anyone is aware of a shop in the PA/DE/MD area that does quality work at a good price.

My budget is around $2300.00 and I am hoping that I can get it done for that as creature comforts are important to the crew...

As always - This board is awesome!

Thanks for your input,

Steve

Steve Eckfield

Ken Juul

I don't think the factory will have any MkI cushions left in stock so they will have to have them made special order.  I'd check in the yellow pages for local upholstery shops.  Doesn't need to be a marine canvas shop, any will do.  Take the old cushions in for patterns and get some estimates.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Lance Jones

I agree with Ken up to a point. I suggest going to a local marine shop. We did that for our Catalina 27 and had a better selection of marine grade cloth and cushion material. Also, she was use to what worked as far as what type foam for what ever you would need.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

In some cases, you may be able to reuse the foam to save some money, depending on the condition.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

David Urscheler

We just re-did our dinette and setee cushions in sunbrella. The work was done by a local shop which specialized in marine and aircraft upholstory. The foam was still in good shape, so the total price was $1,800.00. We brought the old cushions in and picked up the new ones a week later.

Dave

Ron Hill

Guys : For replacement cushions Fabric and /or Foam go local.

We had ours done in "Ultra Suede" and they are perfect.  You'll probably have to replace the seat foam and that may be extra $$.    Ask for an estimate.  
Ron, Apache #788

foobie

Thanks gang! Great information!

I found a local shop that comes recommended.

Next question: The Counselor of the Exchequer has tentatively approved the expenditure and now it's down to the variable of fabric types to finalize the deal....ugh.  I don't need sunbrella for an interior application, and I am fairly confident that the ultrasuede will too costly.. Please stop me if I am incorrect in that assumption.

Is there some fabric designation for "marine applications"? Did you have the vinyl type of material that Catalina included on the original cushions replaced? Is that readily available? Is there anything I am missing.

Thanks again for the great advise!

Steve   

Steve Eckfield

pablosgirl

Hi Steve,

You might start with www.sailrite.com, they are a online retailer of boat fabric and sail making supplies.  You can view the available marine fabrics online there and the website has a lot of good background info on fabric selection.  Their customer service department is very helpful and friendly and do not mind answering questions.  So give them a call.  Any local shop will have access to these same fabric's ( a lot of small shops order through Sailrite ). 

I have ordered sail repair supplies and a mainsail cover kit from them.  My next fabric project will be to make a new salon table top cushion, since the PO did not provide on with the boat.

Paul
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP

Ron Hill

Steve : As I recall the largest cost for cushions in the labor, not the material.  The fabric that most cushions are made of for boats is called Olifan (sp?). 
What you need to do is get a cost estimate for the covering material as well as some new foam for the seats and then decide. 
My Admiral went with the Ultra Suede, which I believe will hold up for the remainder of my boating life time.  We are VERY happy with it.     A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Krawford

Steve, Sailrite is running a 10% off sale through April 12, 2010. 
Ken Krawford
C350 Hull 351  2005 Universal M35B

Phil Spicer

Steve, Another place to check is Jo Ann Fabric. My wife ordered our ultra suede at Jo Ann for the best price. The wife just told me I am wrong. We have a micro fiber, looks like the suede but at a fraction of the cost. After 3 seasons it still looks like new, holds up like iron, but soft. Cleans up real nice. Our friends used a light tan on their boat. Tested it to be kid proof at lunch time. Put everything on it & it cleaned up nice. We got the backing fabric from Sail Rite, but not vinyl. Sail Rite suggested another fabric that will allow air flow. Check it out.
   We have a Sail Rite machine, but my wife did all the micro fiber on her regular machine. No need for the heavy machine.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

David Urscheler

Steve:
Don't discount Sunbrella too quickly. It's mildew resistant, breathable, water repellant, and comes in a multitude of colors. Liquid spills just bead up for a quick wipe. It's sunlight resistance is just a bonus for interior cushions. We love our Sunbrella!

Dave

Phil Spicer

Steve, Just checked with the wife about the micro fiber fabric. It is called "Signature Suede."
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

horsemel

We are in the process of having our salon cushions redone, including new foam.  The person doing them made cushions for the OEM automotive market for many years, mainly for Corvettes and Park Avenues.  Her employer folded last year and now she is doing r/v cushions for a living.  We are using a blue automotive seat fabric for the seats, looks nice, wears like iron and is treated for stains and mildew resistance.  The backs will be white leather, again automotive seat grain.  When they are done and installed I will send pictures.
Mark Mueller
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

Michael Shaner

Phil...went to the Jo Ann fabric site and searched "signature suede" and this is the only hit...

Brings to mind a rivalry for Waterdog and Susan's Pygmy Klondike Giraffe scheme...

Michael & Alison Shaner