racing 101

Previous topic - Next topic

Indian Falls

I'm not finding the content about racing in the forum for newbies...   so far a lot of it is over my head.

We have the opportunity to race this summer on amateur night. 
(I use the term "race" loosely as I will likely just be following all the other boats.)

I look at this as a way to gain invaluable experience.  I never sailed more than a "Sandals Hobie Cat" before and I'm hoping this is a smart way to add some vertical degrees to the learning curve. 
One of my potential crew races on another boat, so I have some direction.  The other potential crew persons pretty much are going along because there's beer at the end and know less about boats than I do.

My questions include: how many crew members are needed on a c34? what should or should not be done to the boat for this gentle learning experience?  What are the bare necessities?  Who does the PHRF rating?  Does everyone have to be tethered?  Can you race without a spinnaker? (have not used our symmetrical yet)  What is the best source for yacht racing rules? 

Much of my research so far only finds vague and general information or info too far over my head.

My ability so far is I can take her out, get to a destination and get it back in one piece and enjoy the trip!

Thanks!

Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Miles Henderson

The best way to add vertical degrees to your learning curve is to race on an experienced racer's boat for a season.  Try to find someone at your club that has room for an extra crew member that will be racing jib and main.  Try to find a bigger boat about the size of the C34. 

I have raced small boats all my life; but, racing a big 34 foot fixed keeled boat is quite a bit different.  Yes, the rules are the same; however, there is much more you need to know to get proper sail trim, helm balance, etc.  There is nothing better than having two or three experienced racers on-board to learn from.  After buying my C34 three seasons ago, I re-rigged it to handle a symmetrical spinnacker so I could participate in Wednesday night beer can races (we only had a couple boats participating in jib and main).  Last summer, I found a very experieced crew to participate in the Queen's Cup (an annual race across Lake Michigan), a sixty mile night-time race.  There were 200 hundred boats enterred in the race with 12 divisions (12 classes paired with similar PHRF-rated boats).  We finished second in our division because of our knowledgeable crew.  I learned ALOT along the way.

Get out there and have fun!

Miles H
Kumatage 1204

Analgesic

I can add a slightly different perspective.  I have mainly used my C 34 for weekend day sailing + a 2 week vacation cruise with my family while racing with a very serious crew on a Beneteau First 36 Wednesday nights with full spinaker and all the fine tuning bells and whistles.  I started with this crew about 4 years ago knowing very little about racing and now consider myself a fairly competent bow man.   Locally we wind down each September in Boston Harbor with 2 fun "Chase" races with > 100 boats in each and a range of entrants from first timers to world class racing teams.  I now enter my boat in these races with less serious friends.  I have added a whisker pole which I can use easily on cruises and enjoy using in the races without the investment or talent requirements to move up to  a spinnaker.  I now feel confident racing my boat as captain from what I've learned on Wednesdays.  One more thought-while we have fun on Wednesdays, there is zero tolerance for a captain who doesn't thoroughly know racing rules.  The September races invite beginners with the understanding that not everyone will know all the rules and protests are for educational purposes. 
Brian McPhillips
Brian McPhillips  1988 #584  M25XP

Mert Gollaher

As someone who started racing just a few years ago, I agree that the best way to learn is by doing alongside experienced racers.  Reading helps, but watching and doing are much better.  The most fun I've had racing has been crewing for a friend in the Off Soundings series.  We race a J/92 against J/105s, J/109s and Rod Johnstone in his new J/95.  Once you try it, you're hooked.

Non-Spinnaker Wednesday night beer can races provided a low pressure way to get started, and my first year I made sure I always had a more experienced racer onboard to check my decisions.  It took a year+ before I felt I had the confidence and judgment to move into the group vying for the first few places across the starting line - and absent a good crew, I still back off pretty quickly.  Go out and practice.  Pick a buoy as an upwind or downwind mark and practice your roundings.  Sight a line off a buoy and tell yourself you have to cross it with good speed in exactly 2 minutes. 

As for crew, we are OK in the NS fleet with 4, and we've managed our asymmetric with 4 though I'd rather have at least 5.  We had a couple of Wednesday nights last year with just 2, and we got by in the NS fleet, but we stayed clear of the starting fray and dumped a lot of wind along the way.  These are not small boats, be careful and conservative as you learn - leave plenty of room.  As for symmetrical spinnakers, I don't have experience on a C34 as I'm just doing that rigging now - I defer to everyone else.

The PHRF ratings are done by local/regional sailing associations, and you can likely find the association for your area by asking anyone who races at your club/marina - or try http://www.ussailing.org/phrf/phrfcon.asp 

You might also consider a North U seminar.

Good luck; enjoy the fun!
Mert Gollaher
Avalon Sunset
1987 C34 #405
Tall / Fin
GYC, Guilford, CT

Stu Jackson

Quote from: indianfalls on March 13, 2010, 09:09:06 AM
I'm not finding the content about racing in the forum for newbies...   so far a lot of it is over my head.

There's a very good reason for that:  successful racers are going to be the very last people on earth who are going to share information, and it's not because they're stingy.  Ever hear of a batter telling a pitcher he's telltailing his pitches?

One spends many years "learning" to race: reading, practicing, "training" crew, defining roles, practicing, racing, practicing...

There's simply no "simple racing 1010" or a  "how to race for newbies" kind of topic.

If you ask an electrical or mechanical question, most skippers will be able to answer it.  That's just impossible for racing.

We spent over six years racing here with our C34 one design Fleet 1.  A great experience.  But the key is to get out there, read, get out there, read, get out there, practice, practice, race, practice...
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

sail4dale

I have raced sailboats for over 50 years since a teen and have sailed/raced in everything from a Snipe to a 50 foot sloop. 
The very first thing I would recommend is to crew of a racing boat ... it doesn't have to be
a super racer but get on the race course. 

Also get on a race committee boat and learn what the racers do at the start and finish.

then get an experienced racer to go along with you on your boat for a race or two.  Don't try to
outdo the pros but just go along and watch while staying out of trouble.  usually you see a lot when you are behind the hot shots.
Over the years I have found the the truly good racers are very willing to share their expertise and really want to help a new racer get in the sport with sage advice.

It's a learning process but well worth the effort.
Cat34 Mk II True Luff #1582  2001
San Pedro, CA (Port of Los Angeles)

Stu Jackson

Quote from: sail4dale on March 15, 2010, 09:45:02 AMOver the years I have found the the truly good racers are very willing to share their expertise and really want to help a new racer get in the sport with sage advice.

I started by going out on my own boat and following some of the races around.  In some cases you can do that, others not.  Stay away from the line, of course.  I've had racers come on my boat and all they did was get in the way of my learning.  ...takes all kinds.

Yes, racers will be glad to help, only they'll pretty much only be able to go so far as what we are doing here, telling you how to get started.  'Cuz once you start, you're the, guess what, competition!  :D :D :D

And in our neck of the woods there are "beer can races" which are low key Friday evening events without any (much?) of the rock star competition you get on weekend races, until you're up for them.

I agree, it's a LONG learning process but well worth the effort.

Then...go practice...
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Stu Jackson

Original questions.  Sorry we neglected these!

how many crew members are needed on a c34?

I've raced singlehanded, and some go with as many as eight.  Four seems about right for the space, although I get cramped with a total of three, including me.

what should or should not be done to the boat for this gentle learning experience? 

Not much.  Learn sail trim, right.  Make sure stuff down below doesn't shift, and it never should anyway.  Who need distractions?

What are the bare necessities? 

What do you consider different between cruising and racing?  The only difference I see is racing is a cruise with a specific time and course.  Yup, you need to review the rules, but "starboard" and be careful around the mark are all you need to get started.

Who does the PHRF rating?

Your local yacht club or racing venue.

Does everyone have to be tethered? 

Rarely.  Lifejacket requirements depend on the race committee.

Can you race without a spinnaker? (have not used our symmetrical yet)

Sure, we've done it for years.  There are usually spinnaker and non-s divisions.

What is the best source for yacht racing rules?

amazon.com  Everybody has their own way to learn.  Some have actually read the rules themselves and understood them!  There are "explaining the racing rules" books out there, find one and give it a try.  The racing rules are, like sail trim, a never ending quest.

Ken Juul

Some general thoughts. 
Light boats tend to go faster than heavy boats....don't load yours up with unnecessary stuff. 
New sails are faster than old sails.  As you get competitive you will want to replace them, start your new sail kitty now. 
Sail Trim Sail trim Sail trim.  If you need help I recommend the Don Gillette book available in the Catalinaowners.com store or West Marine.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Indian Falls

I am really enjoying this topic, it's like throwing in a hook and then catching 10 fish with one worm. 

All Your replies have been great.

The reasons I posted: 

1.)  Everyone is so forthcoming in this forum.  Ask and thou shall receive. (awesome)

2.)  I felt compelled to ask since I came up sort of empty handed by searching.  ( I promise to treat this
      forum with respect and never post a question without a thorough search first )

3.)  Generally the information available on this topic is meant for REAL sailors.  Just 'cause I've gone out,
      come back, and not sank, so far,  does not make me a sailor. (but I had to start somewhere)

I'm not at all interested in any competitive racing, it is the hope that just participating will force me to learn far more than if I just continue to take her out and bring her back un-eventfully.  Not forgetting that it will be a whole lot more fun than being out there by myself.

I don't even know what a beer can race is.  I could never ask this forum for racing secrets.  I was hoping I could get some idea from the big dogs on the porch about a few of the more mundane aspects.  You know, setup and such, what each crew members basic task is.  etc..  If I read about racing all I get is how to do this or that on a decked out, hauls the wall, racing sloop.  I can't seem to make it apply to me and my largely factory equipped C34.   

It may turn out that I should put another season of day sails under my boat shoes and ride along with another racer before I even try to race on even amateur night. 

But then, that's why I asked you folks. 

Thanks to all who've replied and graciously lent me their expertise.  I shall use it wisely.

Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

waterdog

Quote from: indianfalls on March 16, 2010, 06:30:47 PM

... ( I promise to treat this forum with respect and never post a question without a thorough search first )...

Don't be afraid to ask a question again!   

If everything has been asked and answered already, then this is just a static encyclopedia and not a place of value for new people to join a conversation.   I bought the wrong anchor for my boat because I read a lot of old posts about what people were using rather than asking what was the best available today.  Things change.    (Having said that, quite often you can find the answer you are looking for with a quick search...)
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Ted Pounds

Beer can racing is a term used to describe many clubs' Wed. night races.  I suppose at one time they used to throw out some beer kegs for course marks.  At our club it was always jib and main only racing (JAM).  And we did it in 2 divisions - serious and not so serious (actually the division was by PHRF, but all the serious racers had faster boats w/ lower PHRF's).   I got into it by just going out and doing it. US Sailing sells a handy laminated rule card that covers the basics that you need to know.  Also one of the things our club did every year was to host a racing seminar for beginners to acquaint them with the basics.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Kyle Ewing

My experience is similar to what has been described here.  I crewed on a friend's boat for several years before having the confidence to race my own.  I race Wednesday night beercans and the Chicago Race to Mackinac (Cruising Division).  Participating in Wednesday night races "forces" me to sail weekly.  It's easy to get caught up in day to day stuff.  It's nice to have crew calling me reminding me to race.

To me the most stressful parts are the start and close quarters maneuvering.  You really have to understand and have confidence in your knowledge of the rules of the road when you have several boats on different tacks sailing in close proximity--sometimes a few feet apart!

On Wednesday nights I sail jib and main (JAM) and like to have at least 4 people--a main trimmer, one jib trimmer per side, and a helmsperson.  I make it a point to rotate so I'm not the only one driving.
Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/