Engine mount replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

Vic Suben

I am trying to replace the engine mounts in my 1987 Catalina 34.  I followed all the suggestions in the C-34 forum, but now I find that starboard forward and the aft port mounts are frozen to the studs.  It should be noted that it took a lot of Liquid Wrench to loosen the nuts above the engine mounting flange.

Despite hammering on the mounts with anything on hand and copious amounts of Liquid Wrench, the mounts are still frozen in place.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might free the engine from the studs?

Thanks,

Vic Suben
Surprise
C-34 No. 453
Vic
Surprise, Hull No. 453

Ron Hill

Vic : As I understand your question, you have removed the top nuts off of the frozen engine mounts !?

If so - My only suggestion is to raise the engine so the feet of those frozen mounts are off of the engine bed (at least 1/4") and hit the top of the engine mount threaded stud with a hammer to break them loose.
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Or try PB Blaster, much more effective than Liquid Wrench.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Don't even want to comment which is the best "penetrating oil" - Blaster or Liquid Wrench.  
Seems to fall into the anchor/battery/type engine oil/bottom paint/etc. likes and dislikes !

Vic : You may want to heat that stud with a torch and then hit it with a hammer!  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Juul

Vic, Still not sure of the problem.  Is it getting the  nuts between the mount and engine off or getting the mounts off the stringers?  If the nuts on the engine are frozen, if the heat doesn't work a "nut splitter" might be the solution.  Not sure if there is enough room to use it though.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA