SmartPilot X-5 Wheel Pilot

Previous topic - Next topic

Brent Evans

Hi, Everyone, 
I've just ordered Raymarine SmartPilot X-t Wheel Pilot for my MkI 86 C34.  Any advice on where best to locate the fluxgate compass and the control unit?  I'd appreciate any advice others may have.
Thanks, Brent Evans, Tranquilty (hull 38).

Ken Juul

It really depends on what other things you have on your boat. The hanging locker by the navsta is a popular choice for both as is the bulkhead under the navsta.  That area is full on mine.  I put the fluxgate on the aft end of the mast step and my  control box is mounted to the plywood side wall in the aft cabin.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Terry Forshier

I finally decided to place the compass on the bulkhead above the shelf above the nav station. I would like to have had it lower but I have my AC unit in the locker below the nav station and it has too much metal. Other places I considered (like around the steps into the cabin) I felt were too close to the motor. So I placed it there, ran the line along the seam at the top and back to the port cockpit locker where I mounted the control pannel. I also have a digital compass I purchased with my tack tick system that I mounted in the head at the top above the shower. I did not especially like that area either as it was high and might get wet. Anyhow, after 3 months or so I have a pretty good comparison of both headings and they both seem to agree. I also put the wireless sender control boxes from the tack tick units in the same cockpit locker. Since my starting battery is there it made the power connection to that easier. I am sure there are better ways but with just one guy, lots of time and a wife not likeing far ranging sailing I am satisfied with the install.
I replaced a 3000 autohelm and cannot tell you how much easier it is to just engage the autohelm, push a button and then go foreward to do some sail work or relax. All this without hooking up the old system whick was a 10 minute job for me.
good luck.
Terry

hump180

Remember to run a search for fluxgate or fluxgate compass. There is already a lot of info on this subject here in the forums.
Bill, Grace Under Pressure, 1990, M-25XP #1026
Western Lake Erie

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

I put the compass under the settee in the rear cabin on the forward bulkhead and the control unit is under the helm seat stb side rear.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Steve S.

Hump is right, there is alot on this already.

I put the compass in the starboard side storage compartment, which puts it just forward of the mast.  The control unit in in the rear salon locker.   I like it there as the control head is on the starboard side coaming just aft of the wheel.

Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay

Gary Brockman

I put my compass on the center line/water line under the drawer in the vee berth and the control unit on the port side of the aft side of the aft berth bulkhead near the engine panel.

Gary
Squall
1986 Hull #231
Tall Rig/Fin Keel - Elliptical Rudder
M25XPB - Flexofold 2 Blade 15x10
Marina del Rey, California

Terry Forshier

Duhhh, when i was on the boat yesterday I noticed that my compass for the Autopilot was mounted on the bulkhead at shelf level on the locker attached to the chart table not at the top as I had described earlier. I originally had it higher and moved it. I tried it at several places until I decided on this area.

hump180

Found a spot for mine today on a bulkhead in the coaming behind the port setee. This is the open space behind the back cushion and the bulkhead. It provides a place to mount the compass facing forward as directed. There is plenty of space there and plenty of places to screw the compass into. Also the bulkhead are not all the way up, so you can run the wire back to the panel or computer with ease. We are installing tommorrow. Computer will be on bulkhead under nav table.
The only problem with my mounting is that it is off center - not sure if it will affect performance of the X-5
Bill, Grace Under Pressure, 1990, M-25XP #1026
Western Lake Erie