Boom lenght

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Brockman

I met with my sailmaker yesterday afternoon to order a new 155 and a new
main. When he measured my boom, my current main measured 13.09 feet. His form on a Catalina 34T said it should have been 12 feet, as does the factory brochure.

Does anyone else have longer boom? My boat came from San Diego, a light air area, and had been set up to race. The main was cut with a very full foot and a flatening reef. The boom would hang down without the flatening reef in Oder to add unrated sail area.

We discussed the new main and decided to go with the 13.09 foot but without the extra boom sag. Today I am wondering if I should have gone with the standard 12 foot main. Any opinions?

Gary
Squall
1986 Hull #231
Tall Rig/Fin Keel - Elliptical Rudder
M25XPB - Flexofold 2 Blade 15x10
Marina del Rey, California

Ken Juul

In sail terminology the "E" dimension is the length of the foot.  A quick visit to the C36 web site reveals that the E dimension for a C36 Tall rig is 13'.  The C34 has the same E dimension for both the standard and Tall rigs.

Pretty sneaky, substituting a C36TR boom.  Wonder if the race measurer caught it?

I purchased a used race sail.  When it arrived I found it too had the full foot and flatening reef.  It hung so low that it interfered with the bimini.  Had the foot recut.

I think you did right thing, order a sail to fit your boom.  The extra foot is probably not needed unless you are into the racing scene.  Just remember you may need to reef a bit earlier than other C34s in your area.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Gary : Ken hit "nail on the head".  The "E" for a C34 is 12'.
The old proverb still holds true - "Never Trust a Racer" !!!
Ron, Apache #788