Before I drill a hole....

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

I have a quick question. The interior (Hull side) of the aft berth in the Mk I, is that the actual hull or a liner?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ted Pounds

I believe it is a liner, but it is attached directly to and flush with the hull.  So if you drill into it you may not get a "break" when the drill bit goes from the liner to the hull.   :shock:
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Lance Jones

Thanks Ted. I'm just looking at a couple 1/2 inch #8 screws for some shelving.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

Lance : You asked a good question, but didn't specify WHERE in the aft cabin you wanted to drill - because you'll get differant answers!!

The starboard hull side of the aft cabin does have a liner and there is a space of about 5/6" near the galley end to just a couple of inches near the aft hanging locker.

I even made a cutout behind the aft cabin seat cushion (like in the salon) and have light line, burgees and some other small stuff stored in there.   A few thoughts.
Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

Ron, not to quibble, but I did specify aft cabin, hull side. The only part of the cabin that is against the hull is the starboard side. The other info you gave is helpful though. Thanks.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ted Pounds

Lance,
If you're careful you should be OK.  Just put some tape on the drill bit to mark 1/2 inch depth.  Fortunately, if you boof it up, fiberglass is pretty easy to repair.  I have drilled similar holes to attach stuff around the cabin windows.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Lance Jones

Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Ted,
What did you use to repair the holes around the cabin windows?
We have a few extra holes from old curtains that didn't line up with the new ones.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ted Pounds

I didn't have any old holes to repair.  But I would think one of those gel coat repair kits with the color tubes would get you a close match.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447