Replacement Microwave MkII

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Stein

We have a 1997 MkII that needs a new microwave.  The original finally gave up last season with, I suspect, some help from our marina's quirky electrical system.  After measuring the size of the cabinet in which the original (and I assume it's the factory original Catalina installed) was installed, I am finding it impossible to locate a model that will accommodate the 9 3/4 height opening in which it must fit.  From what I've been able to glean in searching the internet ad nauseum, the industry seems to have nothing less than 10 1/4 inches in overall height.

While I'm fairly handy with most of the on-board systems and mechanical/electrical maintenance, I am not proficient in woodworking and would not like to see the results of any attempts I would make to modify the nicely finished trim around the opening.  Does anyone have experience with a replacement that fits the standard Catalina cabinet or knows a place to at least look for new unit?

Thanks.

-Mark Stein, Franklin, WI
Mark Stein
SteinWay IV #1357

Jim Hardesty

Mark,
The microwave quit on my last boat.  I did a bit of trouble shooting and found the problem to be just a simple fuse inside the microwave.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Steve Sayian

Mark,

I have a '99 MK II and removed the microwave when I bought the boat in 2005 in favor of more storage.

It still works fine and I have no further use for it.

I'll love sell it so if you're interested, drop me a note at:  ssayian@hotmail.com

Steve

Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Mark Stein

Thanks for the responses.  The unit is not responding to input but appears to have power so I assume something major is wrong with the electronics.

I also checked with an online retailer who specialize in unusual size appliances and explained the need.  They were not aware of any manufacturer that is currently making units less than 10" high.

All my best,

Mark

PS, I'll email Steve about the unit he removed from his boat.
Mark Stein
SteinWay IV #1357

Craig Illman

Stu Jackson

The nine inch ones seem to be discontinued.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

cmainprize

Hi Mark
Check the For Sale section.  Go to the parts and pieces section.  The posting is a little old, but you never know. 

Cory
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

Wayne

2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

cmainprize

This site, the for sale link on the homepage. Click on the for sale link on the bottom of the homepage then go to parts and pieces.  You will see the posting for a microwave from a 1999 MK11.

I copied the guys email address for you. 
Ssayian@hotmail.com

Cory
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

Mark Stein

Thanks very much for the information.  I did connect with the seller of the unit from the C34 forum and it looks like it will work.

I appreciate all your help and suggestions.

All the best,

-Mark
Mark Stein
SteinWay IV #1357

Joe Kern

Wanted to bump this thread.  My microwave has given up and I need to replace and am finding the same issues that started this thread.  No one seems to make one that fits into the MKII space.  Mine was a GE from Catalina and they do not make that model anymore.  Can't find any used or eBay ones.  Has anyone found a microwave that fits?   It is the 9 3/4 height that is the issue.  Lots of them out there less than 18" wide and less than 13 inches deep.  But nothing less than about 10 1/4 inches tall
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Roc

Joe,
Have you shopped around at anyone selling microwaves?  Years ago, I bought a Samsung at KMart for about $40 that fits.  I remember walking through Home Depot a few weeks ago and saw a nice little stainless steel microwave that when I looked at it, I thought that would fit and the stainless steel would look nice in the galley. I didn't measure it, but it certainly looked small.  You might also want to check on-line.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Joe Kern

I have checked everything I could find online and while there used to be ones that fit there is nothing now.  I have also done all the big boxes stores and walked around with a measuring tape.  Have not checked lowes and HD and some of the smaller appliance only stores but have made a few calls.  Pretty frustrated so far but will keep trying.
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Roc

You might want to look at Sears, they sell a lot of appliances.  Also, PC Richards.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Stu Jackson

The C36 skippers have the same issues.  From January 2011:

Talisman, Windward1,
I did a little more research on small microwaves, and the feedback on the Emerson units indicated failures after 1-2 years. The Emerson unit that Amazon sells can be purchased at your local Target Store.
I came across another 0.6 cuft /700W unit with almost the same measurements as the Emerson . It is marketed by Contour out of Sarasota, FL
Measurements are 17 long x 10 1/8 high x 12 3/4 deep .They market this Microwave for boats and RVs. You can purchase it thru SWEGO.com, also in Sarasota, FL for $109.95 phone 866 804 8484

Jack F Stewart
1993 C36 #1233 "Windancer"
Port Clinton, OH

Many of us use the C36 message board.  Simple, no cost signup.  I got this from a search on "microwave", and there are a number of other posts there.

Go here and sign up to the C36 Forum:  www.c36ia.org
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."