Chesapeake Bay Sailors - Proposed NDZ

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

The real grind about the pump out stations is that the government paid the marinas (that installed them) 75% of the installation & cost!

Now some of the pump outs can cost as much as $20+ !  What happened to our TAX $$ that helped build and install them pump outs ?!?   :shock:  
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Juul

If you are in the Rappahannock River area, the pump out at Stingray Harbor Marina (off Broad Crk in Deltaville) is free.  Located on the T dock by the pool.  I'm docked 4 slips down the fairway.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Steve S.

The pump out at Herrington Harbour is free also.  They used to charge $5 bucks but went to free when they rebuilt after Isabel.  I guess some marinas do use taxpayer money wisely.
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay

Ron Hill

Thought some of the readers may be interested that in todays Washington Post.  There was finally an article that has identified (not surprised) the real polluters of the Chesapeake Bay -- animal waste.

If they really want to go for a no Chesapeake discharge zone for boaters, I'm all for it - as long as all of the farmers in NY/PA/DL/MD/VA have to put diapers on all of their animals/birds(including chickens)!!! Then there should also be zillion $$ fines to communities that dump thousands of gallons of sewage in minutes - accidentally?  Worker hit wrong switch or not - sorry about that!          A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

Wayne

Likewise discharges into SF Bay.  I'm always amazed that every winter, often more than once per winter, the city of Sausalito has a sewage dump into the Bay.  One of the hotbeds of the livid environmentalists movement can't quite seem to control their own waste.
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

Michael Shaner

I've no problem with the proposed NDZ. I love the Bay and enjoy way too many oysters and crabs to consider overboard discharge...and the Bay is in a bad way. That being said, perhaps there should be a clause for those with MSD's (I know nothing of them other than they exist and are high $$)?

What Ron says is Gospel (as usual  :D). I live in the western portion of Virginia...up in the mountains. My back porch is literally 75 feet from one of the three rivers that forms the south branch of the Potomac River, which I believe is the second largest tributary of the Chesapeake. An interest is evolving in restoring the clean waters of the Bay, even all the way up here. The area is very much rural/agricultural. Farmers are gaining awareness...natural buffers are being planted and livestock are being fenced away from the rivers, but its going to be a long road. In the past two years, new water treatment plants and extensive upgrades to existing ones are/have been underway all along the Virginia Bay tributaries...the plan has long been in the works...I hope we get there. I'm no tree hugger, I don't care for granola, but I do love oysters and blue crab...     
Michael & Alison Shaner