Water in the bilge

Previous topic - Next topic

rirvine

After an extensive search (using paper and then water-soluble markers) for where the salt water was coming from into my bilge, I finally tracked it down.  It is coming through around the aft most keel bolt.   Has anybody had the same problem?  If so, how did you go about fixing it?     Thank you all..

dave davis

Since your boat is only four years old, I find that a leak around the aft keel bolt very unusual. Was there any indication of this condition when you last hauled out. Most of the C34's show a slight opening toward the foreard bolts but even then, very rare that it is leaking into the bilge. I just know of one boat that had a leak coming from the forward bolt after he hit a submerged truck and did two bounces at 6+ knots.He had to haul the boat, drop the keel and have it rebeded. I hope you find a different reason for your wet gilge.
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

rirvine

Dave - thank you for your comments.  I am sure the water in coming in around the bolt and has been for some time - just took me a good while to track it down as that was the last place I thought to look.  I will have the boat out of the water later in the month as will have the keel dropped down and reset.

rirvine

Ron:   Thank you for the advice - I will call Gerry on Monday.   As for checking the torque, I would say it has not been done since the boat was new.  For sure, I have not done it in the 3 years that I have own the boat.a