Seaward Products Engine Control Panel

Previous topic - Next topic

crimmins

The insides of the clear covers on the meters (tach, temperature, voltage, fuel) on my Seaward Products engine control panel are dirty making the meters hard to read. This is particularly problematic for the engine hours at the bottom of the tach meter where a considerable amount of dirt has accumulated. Has anyone expereinced this problem and how did you gain access to the inside of the clear covers on the meters? My control panel is mounted on the lower part of the pedestal of my 2003 Catalina 34.

Ron Hill

Crimmins:  I've never heard of that !
I believe the your instruments are probably Teleflex instruments (it's written on the dial face).  I'd recommend that you call the manufacture of the instruments and state your problem.  If they are Teleflex the # is (914)907-1000.   :idea:
Ron, Apache #788

Roc

Is the dirt 'inside' or is it because the clear covers have become hard to read through because of haze.  If it's haze, you can try the clear plastic polishes that might polish them up and make them easier to see the gauges.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

tonywright

I have found that mine collects condensation on the inside of the instrument gauges in damp weather. If the condensation was allowed to stay, maybe it has got some micro-organisms growing in it?

I suspect that a small leak allows water to collect in the bottom of the panel.  Mine usually clears up after running with the panel lights on for a while. I suspect that I need to check the weatherproof seal and maybe add something to it that won't degrade the gasket. Anyone done this? (Maybe I should askthe Navpod folks for advice on the best method to ensure a good seal?)

This is a Navpod panel. If it works the same as the panels at the top of the pedestal, then you use an Allen key at the back of the panel to allow the front panel to be removed. You need the special Allen key for Navpods (drilled out center).  You can then probably access the instruments from the back of the front panel.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Roc

My gauges have condensation too, then clear out as they warm up.  However, once the moisture evaporates, I never noticed any issue with seeing the gauges.  I understand condensation in the gauges is a common situation, from reading many posts on this subject in the past.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

tonywright

Ocean Equipment (makers of Navpod) confirms that they made the housing for some of the C34 instrument panels. They say that there are some holes in the bottom to allow condensate to drain out. If water gets in there for some reason, or if the holes get clogged, this could cause a build up.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

SeaFever

Crimmins,

A picture of your panel would help greatly. From your description, it seems to me that you have the EnginePod. See attached photo and confirm that this is the kind of engine panel you have. This EnginePod is manufactured by Ocean Equipment. However, I believe Seaward were contracted by Catalina to build the complete engine panel with gauges. I believe some of the Catalina's were fitted with this kind of Engine Control panel as against the panel on the port side of the cockpit.

Just FYI, I have recently ordered the EnginePod (just the white plastic case and have transfered my gauges from the standard Novatron Panel to this EnginePod and rewired it. I am going to be testing the panel with the engine (M25) in my garage tomorrow.

If you have the EnginePod, I am not sure how you got dirt inside. There is a pretty good seal between the front and the back of the cover. Are you sure the dirt is inside?

Mahendra, Sea Fever, Pearson 10M, #43, Oakland, CA

canuck

I drilled a very small hole at the bottom of the tach - problem solved and no, water does not seep in!

Ron Hill

Guys, Susan & D. Gill : There is no problem with drilling a small hole in the bottom of a pod or in each instrument's case.  Just make sure it's in the Bottom. That allows any moisture to escape.  Ususally the heat from the instrument's incandescent light takes care of that moisture, as the lights were on when the instruments are on.

Maybe the boat instrument manufactures are starting to use LEDs that generate little or no heat.  I think you've all seen the TV bit on the problem with the LED traffic signals in the snow belt - the snow doesn't melt and the traffic signal becomes obscure.   

I have all LEDs in my engine instruments and have NO problem, but they are not in a sealed case. 
A few thoughts.
Ron, Apache #788