Before the lights go out...

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Kuba

I'm sure I speak for the entire fleet when I voice a concern for the hearty sailors around the Chesapeake this weekend. More snow than you've seen in how many years?

I heard our local weatherman say tonight that in the last three years combined Washington, D.C. has gotten only 22 inches of snow. The storm starting tonight has the potential of 24 - 30 inches of snow before it lets up.

Hope the galley is well stocked...
Bob Kuba, C34IA Past Commodore

Michael Shaner

The only thing better than playing in the snow is playing on the water! Official report (viewing tree stump from window by warm fire) says a solid 12-15 inches on the ground in the western portion of Virginia so far... 8) :clap :D :D

Guaranteed every sailor on the Chesapeake has their socks on tonight, or they've had entirely too much grog...
Michael & Alison Shaner

Mert Gollaher

Best to all getting through the storm. 

We'd happily take some (all) of it here - we are in the midst of a week skiing in central Vermont where there is not more than a few inches on the ground and nothing of substance in the forecast.  Thank goodness for snowguns and groomers.
Mert Gollaher
Avalon Sunset
1987 C34 #405
Tall / Fin
GYC, Guilford, CT

Ron Hill

Bob : You are correct - we've been hammered this winter season.  This was definitely NOT the winter to leave your boat in the water.  People are finding that they can't even get to their boats!  Forget about the snow on the docks, when you can't even get into the parking lot!!

We have one of our C34 members that had his partially sink - water up to the engine air intake, because of the December storm.  They suspect the snow weighted down the cockpit and the bilge pump thru hull froze and broke - letting in the water. 

I left my boat in the water only the one year that I got it back in 1989.  The boat is so much safer on dry land.  Even though I owned the the slip it's so much better to pull the boat, spend a few $$ and have the piece of mind. 
Besides my crew says that her vacation begins the day the boat is hauled!!  A few thoughts   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

c34no1471

I just came in from shovelling a pathway down our driveway to the street.  It took over an hour and a half, and if I do it about six or seven more times I'll have the driveway cleared!!  I have until Monday or Tuesday to get that done--they say the plows won't get to our street until then.  I got just under 30 inches of snow since yesterday afternoon, here in Columbia, MD--between Baltimore and DC. 

I have always hauled Breezing Up for the winter.  I considered leaving her in the water this year, and I'm glad I didn't. 

George Alberts
Breezing Up, Hull #1471
Chesapeake Bay
George Alberts
Breezing Up, Catalina 34 MKII
Hull No. 1471
Chesapeake Bay

Bob Kuba

Here in Chicago, we feel your pain.
This is what only 22 inches of snow did to us in 1967.
I can't imagine 30+ inches in a busy city.... :shock:

This is Lake Shore Drive, right along Lake Michigan on the north side of the city.
In fact, the building just to the left of the Route 14/41 sign is where I live.
Just a snowball's throw from the harbor.

sailingdream

Snow what snow?

Here I am in Toronto and its' totally Green! It's been a waste to cover the boats up this yr. :)

Plus my first winter live-aboard and I was hoping to experience a good winter storm onboard. Not looking like it this yr.

Bubblers haven't been on much either. Area around the liveboard boats have been pretty clear.

Stu Jackson

Quote from: sailingdream on February 07, 2010, 07:00:26 AM
Plus my first winter live-aboard and I was hoping to experience a good winter storm onboard. Not looking like it this yr.

What do you use for heating the cabin?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

sailingdream

The main heat which I leave on all the time is a 1500watt(automatic changes the wattage 600/900/1500 to maintain a 72F temperature) oil filled heater. The secondary heaters are two 1500watt(running at 900w) ceramic heaters which I only turn on when I'm in the boat or clubhouse.  Right now I'm in the v-berth and it's 82F(heater hasn't come on in awhile). It's sunny outside so the shrinkwrap is acting like a green house. Outside temp is 26F and with the wind it feels like 12F.

2 weeks ago we had overnight temp of -3F and with the wind it felt like -20F. I was able to maintain a indoor temp of  62F (Oil fill heater at 1500W and the ceramics at 900W)

Quote from: Stu Jackson on February 07, 2010, 09:29:55 AM
Quote from: sailingdream on February 07, 2010, 07:00:26 AM

What do you use for heating the cabin?

Ron Hill

Guys : This is unreal for the DC area, but we're forcast to get another 12 - 20" of snow between tonight and tomorrow night (on top of the 22'' that fell this past weekend). 
The federal Gov has been shut down since noon last Friday.  All that hot air has only changed some of it from snow to sleet & freezing rain !!

This was not a good year to leave your boat in the water!!   An observation   :shock:
Ron, Apache #788

Bob Kuba

Since I started this thread.... Old man winter has paid a visit to the Great Lakes area.
It's been snowing in Chicago for the last 20 hours, and although we only have 7" on the ground, another 5 are expected before morning. I think I'll wax up those cross country skis.... :thumb:

Ron,
Where are you guys putting all that snow? I hope it's not THIS bad!

sailingdream

THATS INSANE!!!!!

On a somewhat happy note. This was taken on Sunday.

Click on this link to make it bigger.
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/3025/37img5495stitch.jpg

Ron Hill

Bob :  You're right - where do you put all that snow!! 
I saw that they are dumping (truck loads) of it under the new Wilson bridge (I-95 over the Potomac between Va and Md).  Other than that they are dumping it into areas close to rivers so when it melts it has somewhere to run off to.

There is more snow forcast for this coming Monday!   
Ron, Apache #788

John Langford

You can always drive it out to Vancouver where the temperatures have been balmy all winter and the Olympics events on nearby  Cypress and Grouse Mts. are being run on hay bales and imported snow
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Bill Asbury

Bob, a belated response to your original 'lights out' message of concern.  Flew down to Florida on 2/2 intending to return 2/9 but couldn't due to blizzard #2 here in Annapolis and finally got home last night.
So, missed all the blizzard fun except the digging out part---house and boats.  We've now had over 6' of snow this season with more in the forecast for Monday...:-(

PS - the weather on Longboat Key (Sarasota) was anything but tropical while I was there, but no snow and ice, so I spent some time looking at condos, with foreclosures and short sales in abundance.  Also noticed quite a few liveaboard sailboats anchored out in Sarasota Bay, causing some consternation among landlubbers, judging from letters to the editor of local papers.
Think spring!!!
Bill
Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay