anchor choices

Previous topic - Next topic

learjetzz

Hey Guys,
Which anchor is better ROCNA or... MANSON ?

Thank You for any opinions.

Stu Jackson

Your boat, your choice. 

We like our Rocna, pulls ya off the bow when you're setting it, easy to retrieve.

Save a long discussion:  read this:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,2705.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

waterdog

What discussion?   A 20kg Rocna and you will experience unbounded happiness.    And they only pay me a small fee for expressing my unbiased opinion on this board...
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Rick Johnson

Steve,  between the commissions from Sailrite and Rocna you must have a huge cruising kitty fund!  And you and your C34 are now famous.

Yet famous or not, I think I'll take your unbiased opinion on both!  Now if I could just learn to sew...

Cheers,

Rick

Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Ron Hill

Learjet:  Your anchor question falls into the other questions that you might also ask!  
Which is the best :
1. Religion
2. Political party

I think you'll find that ANCHORS, BATTERIES (wet cell/gel/agm), 150%/135% GENOA's, CNG/PROPANE, synthetic/regular ENGINE OIL and a few others etc., ALL tend to be Hot Button issues with individual C34 owners !!

So when you get the answers it all depends on who is answering the question !!
Ron, Apache #788

waterdog

Ron is right of course.   The first thing I did when I bought the boat was read all of the information on the site about what was the right anchor because my 10kg Bruce seemed undersized to me.   I read all the posts and reached the conclusion that I needed a 15kg claw type after absorbing all the info.   I bought one.   It failed me on two occasions after properly setting.   Now I have a Rocna and I have seriously tested it and I have converted. 

The original question was Rocna or Manson.    Either is probably a good choice.   These are very similar religions...   And you probably don't have to go to 20kg.   15kg would likely do well depending on your anchoring conditions.    Stu does fine with 10kg (he does a hand pull).

Interestingly, there are more and more cruisers in 40ish foot boats that are dropping 100lb anchors.   Seems like overkill, but if you can handle the weight in the bow, an extra 60lbs or something is nothing for a windlass.    People doing serious miles dropping the hook in unknown anchorages place a huge premium on their ground tackle.   They often don't care about their engines (at least they don't let their safety depend upon an engine running), but they rely on their ground tackle.   
Steve Dolling
Former 1988 #804, BlackDragon - Vancouver BC
Now 1999 Manta 40 cat

Michael Shaner

I have a 35 lb Manson, and I think it very may well set and hold a C34 on a concrete sidewalk. I'd wager a Rocna may do the same. These anchors are a masterpiece of engineering...it's a new era in anchors man...

I still can't figure out how anybody (Stu) gets them off the bottom gracefully all by his onesie... :D
Michael & Alison Shaner

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Michael Shaner on February 04, 2010, 10:38:25 PM
I still can't figure out how anybody (Stu) gets them off the bottom gracefully all by his onesie...

By using the techniques learned from this board and other anchoring and de-anchoring material:

1.  Don't use the windlass to pull the boat up over the anchor - easy to do with no windlass :D

2.  Get the chain up & down

3.  Wait a bit and haul

Any anchor will come up easily when you're right above it.

Not all of them grab the bottom as well as "our Rocnas!" and Mansons.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Ron Hill

Guys : If you are looking at a plow/scoop type anchor for a C34, I recommend that you stay with the 30-35lb category.  You need the weight to really get it to dig in, hold and be able to take a 180 turn (ie. T-storm wind/tidal changes).

Of course I also use 50ft of Hi Tensile chain.  Also don't forget the swivel between the chain and the anchor, so the anchor can do it's own thing(as the chain tends to twist).

As most of us have mentioned, it's prudent to always carry two differant types of anchors for differant bottom conditions.  A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

And for another repeat of these important issues:

Anchor SYSTEM Sizing Tables:  see reply #6, here:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4990.0.html  It's not just the anchor, it's all of the individual parts.

Anchor Fits on C34 Bow Roller0 with pictures:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5336.0.html

mainesail

As one of the few sailors out here who actually owns both....either.

While I use the Rocna, the Manson is well built and has performed identically to my Rocna, no complaints with either anchor. Here in Maine performance has been 100% set on the first try, nearly instantaneous sets 100% of the time, no draggings, and 100% re-sets on wind tide shifts, which we see on nearly every anchoring. I have well over 100 anchorings on both anchors, probably 140 on the Manson and about 170 or so with the Rocna. I have not been able to see any performance difference between the two..

While the Rocna is ever so slightly better built, the Manson is a LOT less money for very similar, if not the same, performance. The construction details should not drive this decision as they are very close.

For a C-34 a Rocna 15kg is more than enough. My 15kg has survived 60+ on a 36' boat with a loaded displacement over 18k..
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

learjetzz

Stu, Ron, Waterdog and all that convinced me .

My Boat, Your Opinion .

Gettin' My ROCNA On.

Fair Winds   

Roc

Ron mentions the use of a swivel between the anchor and chain.  However, I've read on this site that a swivel is not a good idea because it is a weak link that compromises the overall tensile strength of the system.  There are those that have witnessed failures.  Any thoughts on this subject?
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Stu Jackson

Roc, a search on "anchor swivel" found this:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5109.0.html

Try some more search results on that topic.  I refuse to even consider one.

Ron Hill

Roc : Examine the marine catalogs, contact Hayn (an American manufacture) and look at the Safe Working Load numbers of differant type/size swivels.  Then look at your SWLs of your chain and nylon rode.

Then you decide which one is the weakest link.

There is one indisputable fact -- chain twists and the more chain you use the more it twists !!!

Your choice your boat - A few thoughts.
Ron, Apache #788