Thunder Road

Previous topic - Next topic

steve stoneback

OK, my very first car (when I was in the 9th grade) was a 1930 Model A 2 door sedan...... and no I didn't buy it new.  The gas tank and the dash were one in the same.  A float gauge was visible through a viewing glass in the center.  I started it many times with the hand crank.

Ah, the good old days.

sps
Steve Stoneback
Grasmere
1989 #918
Lake Oahe Pierre, SD

Ron Hill

Susan : My first was a Champion 1948 convertable.  Beside the starter under the clutch, don't forget two other neat features :
1.  Hill holder - stop on a hill and as you put in the clutch you tapped on the brake and the car stayed in place (without your foot on the brake).  As you let out the clutch to go (right foot on the accelerator), it released automatically released the brake!!
2. Overdrive (4th gear) - the best part of the overdrive was that shifting from 1st to 2nd all you needed  to do was let off of the accelerator and shift without using the clutch.  Same with 2nd into 3rd. 
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Heyman

Ron---almost as driver friendly as the new "high tech" Toyotas' that make independent decisions regarding acceleration and braking.

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Tom Clay

Ron.....My first car was a 1955 Studebaker Champion, flathead 6, it also had the hill holder, a great feature. Another thing that my Studebaker had and was leading edge back in the day was electric windshield wipers....2 speed no less. Do you all remember the vacuum wipers...LOL.

I still miss this car......Lots of Chrome, the entire front end.
Tom and Lynn Clay
2006 34' Hull #1760......Somewhere
Olympia, Wa.

horsemel

Ken, nice to hear that somebody else owned a Simca, or even heard of them.  Mine was black.  You are right about 4 on the column.  Never saw it anywhere else.  The defroster and heater were so bad that I had to drive to school in the winter with the window down so I could see where I was going.  My face thawed out by the end of the school day.  It also had two horns, a city horn and a country horn.  Some kind of French thing I guess.  Anyway, she topped out at 50 mph (sounded like she would blow up but never did) and was almost as good as a 4wd SUV in snow.
Mark Mueller
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

Mert Gollaher

Be thankful you didn't start driving in '79 when I had the choice of an anemic Mustang II (the weakest point in the breed) or a VW Rabbit.  Thankfully, I was able to maneuver into a early 80's RX-7 after a few years - I still miss that basketball-sized rotary.  So where can I find a 40+ year old pony car?

Mert Gollaher
Avalon Sunset
1987 C34 #405
Tall / Fin
GYC, Guilford, CT

Rick Johnson

Mine was a 1956 MGA and a 1973 Chevy Vega wagon to haul parts for the MG to try and keep it running on the weekends.  If you have owned a British sports car, you will know that they are never your only vehicle.  Wish I had never sold the MG.

Cheers,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Bill Asbury

Owned several MGs and Jags, Rick, so am familiar with the associated maintenance gremlins.  Eventually graduated to a Miata, the modern MG w/o the reliability problems.
My first car at age 16 was a 39 Chevy willed to me by my grandfather for milking his cows and doing other chores around the farm during his terminal illness.  He also willed me one of his cows, a nice little Jersey.
Think spring!
Bill
Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay