replacement of original propane tank

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

So its been 20 years and still on same tank. Obvioulsy we do mainly day sailing and did not use it much. There is still gas in there and it works fine but it seems that a little rust is now appearing on the tank and perhaps its time to modernize. I am sure there is a link to someone that has done this job and made the conversion. Thanks very much.
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Ken Juul

Propane tanks are now required to have over pressure relief valves.  This increases the overall height of the tank.  There are a couple projects in the wiki about modifying the propane locker to hold the new tanks. Since you use so little propane, some sandpaper and paint might be an easier choice.  On the other hand, once you are out, most retailers will not refill your old tank.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ken Heyman

I had the experience referred to be Ken. My tank was fine but I could not get it refilled due to current regulations. I found a company to modify the valve with one  that complied with the current standards. ---easy fix. Here is another member's experience.

Ken

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4282.msg24659.html#msg24659
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Ron Hill

Cliff : Believe me - it's easier & cheaper to get the OPD (overflow protection device) installed in your old tank than it is to get a new tank.  I've done BOTH!!  I've also written this up in the Mainsheet Tech notes a couple of times.

Surprising that your tank (that's inside a box) is getting rusty!?  I'd clean it and paint it after getting a new OPD installed for about $30.  
Ron, Apache #788

Fuzzy

Cliff:
We had the same problem as Ken J. and Ken H., couldn't get the old tank refilled. 
So we bought a new tank and a new molded top to the container that is made to
accomodate the higher tank (with the new valve) from the manufacturer of the
original tanks and airtight containers.  However the bad news, I don't remember
who that was.  Anyone else outhere that might know who was the manufacturer??
Larry
Larry G. Trumble
East Jordan, MI
Katarina
1987 #475

Rick Johnson

Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

crieders

Thats great advice. The tank is under the stern berth. Is it ok to leave it there or where else to move it on an already crowded boat?

Fuzzy

Cliff:  What do you mean "under the stern berth"?  It's in  it's own airtight container isn't it??
You don't want it in the boat anywhere except in an airtight container designed for that purpose.
Larry
Larry G. Trumble
East Jordan, MI
Katarina
1987 #475

crieders

The steel tank is under the stern berth against the hull as was designed in 1990

Ken Juul

The propane tank must either be in the open air so any leaks disapate without pooling inside the boat.  If installed inside the boat it must be in a sealed container.  The container should have vent hoses directed overboard so any leaks are directed away from the boat.  Propane is heavier than air, if the tank is under the aft berth there is no way it will vent outside, any leaks will end up in the bilge.

I'm wondering if you are confusing CNG and propane.  Or if a previous owner converted from CNG to propane and didn't properly install the tank.  Picture of a CNG tanks is attached.  The propane tanks look like minature barbeque grill bottles.  Pictures in the wiki.

My 1990 propane tank is located in the airtight enclosure inside the port lazarette.

Link to my wiki article on upgrading to a larger tank.  http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Propane_Locker_Mk1.5

Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Cliff : If your "tank" is under the starboard settee in the aft cabin, you have a Compressed Natural Gas system(CNG - lighter than air)) and NOT propane.  If that is SO all you have to do is exchange your CNG tank for a new one that is full.  
Ron, Apache #788

crieders

It must be the CNG. I'm sorry for my ignorance. My concern is whether it is safe in the aft cabin or whether even CNG should be moved. Thanks for all the help

BillG

In MHO, the CNG tank is just as safe under the aft cabin as anywhere.  On our boat there is a designed cradle for it to lay, with straps to hold it down.  It is close to the stove making for a short run.  CNG is lighter than air and therefore a sealed and vented  dedicated container is not required as in propane.
On the other hand, CNG is much more expensive and harder to find as well as impossible once you leave the US.
When we purchased our boat , the surveyor recommended however that we vent the locker to the outside, which we did do.
Bill
Rock Hall, MD

crieders

Can you tell me something about how you did the venting?

BillG

My previous posting was unclear as to venting for the CNG recommended by our surveyor.  From the attached photo, you can see the vent hose bending around the top of the regulator.  It does not vent the locker, but I guess is  some type of safety vent for the regulator.  Maybe someone else more knowledgeable can help us out as to exactly what it does.
When we purchased the boat, this vent hose was just laying under the aft berth and the surveyor suggested that we vent it to the outside.  I used a stainless thru hull vent and installed it in the cockpit.  Since CNG is lighter than air, it will not pool on the floor of the cockpit.
Bill
Rock Hall, MD