Reefing

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

While we're on the subject of reefing, our 89 Catalina 34 mainsail has 2 reef points and the jiffy reefing hardware, but no line.  What size and length line do I need?  Is there any way to use the 2 points without having seperate lines for each system?  Do you leave line threaded through the clues all the time?
Thanks!
ChriSea #832, 1989
Tall rig, fin keel
Sailing on Lake Michigan

Stu Jackson

Chris

The length of the reefing line is based on how you want to rig it.  The length has to be measured at your boat based on the height of the 2nd reef points.  Start at the gooseneck, down the length of the boom, up through the cringle, back down to the boom.  For single line reefing, add the length of line at the tack up and down through the cringle.  If you have a separate tack reef line, add those dimensions for a separate line.  Then add more line if you want to run them aft.  Just figure out how you want to rig it, and measure between the dots.

Record the measurements, and add 5 to 10% for knots, and there you are.

Minimum 5/16 or
3/8 inch line, not for strength, but for use, your hands won't work too well with smaller line.  If it looks too small it probably is, if it looks too fat it's overkill.  Again, not strength of line, but "handle-ability," if there is such a word.

See my recent message board post on other reefing questions and ideas, for a description of our four line reefing system with two reef points.

The color of the line is up to you, but my experience is that you want them to "disappear" and be as invisible as possible.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."