fridge quit

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Mobley

Hi,

I am reasonably new to this boat.  It is a 1989.  I have been living on the boat during the week since I purchased the boat in June.  The previous owner only used the frig during infrequent use.    It was working fine before Christmas.  I turned it off for two weeks.  Now it does not work.   The compressor seems to work but it does not cool.   I am in the SF bay area.     I welcome any suggestions.    I figure I will need to call a repair person.    

Thanks,
Bob Mobley

Stu Jackson

Bob

Check the thermostat and then see if the fan is working.  Replacement fans are least expensive at Radio Shack.

Check the fuses both on the panel and at the unit.  Check the voltage at the unit.  Check the connections at the unit.

For good SF Bay area resources, see:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,1947.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Lance Jones

Bob,
Follow Stu's advice. He and Ron talked me through my frig problem. IF, and I say IF, you have to replace any or part of your system, do not hesitate to call the Catalina Parts Department. They really helped me out with my system requirements.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

Bob : Follow Stu's advice.  The thermostate connection is a polarized 2 prong plug and is in the aft lazerette if you have the factory AB instillation. 
The fuse is on the compressor unit and be sure to check the grounds(-).  Don't believe the Catalina factory will be too much help with the older AB fridge. 
I wrote an article on my problem for the Mainsheet and it's best advice is to get a AB repairman, as it'll save a trip and time.  He'll have the parts in his truck where another fridge repair man will have to get/order if that's what's wrong.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Bob Mobley

Hi again,

The frig was installed by the original owner.  I don't believe it was from Catalina.  I found a manual tonight.  It says it is a Frostmate FM 690  from Kenyon Marine, Inc in Clinton, Ohio.  The manual says it is version "03/28/95", looks like the date.

The manual says if the Compressor and fan run continuously  = no refrigerant in system:loose couplings,  defective component(s), punctured evaporator, broken tubing.

The fan does run continuously and I assume the compressor is running(I feel vibration when I put my hand on it). 

I guess that there is no way to really know what the problem is.  My guess is  loss of refrigerant, so I should get it checked and refilled.

Thanks for the hints and link.

Bob

Bob Mobley

Hi,
Interesting.  I turned the darn thing off last night.  I turned it back on tonight to see if I could tell if the compressor was working.

Now it is cooling. :clap  I hope it continues.

Bob

Lance Jones

I think that is a sign of low freon.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

Bob : With the fridg coming back ON - You could also just have a bad connection!  
I'd have the "coolant" level checked, but I'd also look at all of the connections to the compressor/ thermostat/ switches.  
Look at the wire/connectors on the end of the wires.  You can get a can of "Turner Cleaner" at Radio Shack and squirt a small shot on the connection - I've found this stuff to invaluable.   A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Bob Mobley