Super suggestions on furling the Hood!

Thanks!
Lance
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Fuzzy

Everyone:
Don't forget that it's easy and fairly reasonable to convert the continuous line furler to the new style single
line mode.  Cost is around $600 as I remember.  We did it to our '87 and have been extremely happy that
we made the investment, it's a good upgrade.
Larry
Larry G. Trumble
East Jordan, MI
Katarina
1987 #475

Lance Jones

Larry,
Tell me more. I called the Hood folks last year and they said they no longer offer the replacement upgrade.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

Lance : A couple of years ago I replaced my roller furler in conjunction with changing the standing rigging. I wrote an article on that rigging and roller furling change out in the Mainsheet a few years back. 
I found the new Hood single line roller furler to be much cheaper in comparason to Schaeffer and Harken.  The exact prices have probably changed, but the price comparason should still be valid.

If your head stay has not been changed or even inspected since it was installed, you might want to think about doing something what like I did !!  A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Fuzzy

Lance:
Wasn't aware that Hood discontinued the model upgrade.  At one time they gave the group here (C-34) a discount.
Does anyone else out there know anything about this??
Larry
Larry G. Trumble
East Jordan, MI
Katarina
1987 #475

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

The last time I checked with them, Hood was still offering the upgrade but you had to buy the whole system, not just the drum, like they were previously offering.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ken Juul

how many are interested in the doing this upgrade.  Perhaps if we get enough interest Pompanette will consider another special.

PM or email me and I'll start a list.

Tom Soko or someone else that is also on the C36 message board.  Can you ask the same question.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Rick Johnson

There are several Pearson owners here in the marina with the old 915 LD fulers.  If there was information on a possible group buy on the upgrade, I will pass on the information to them also.  There is power in numbers.

Cheers,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

horsemel

We too have the old furling mechanism.  We have not had any problems with it, but it does seem more inconvenient than the other type  Our line will probably need replacing after the coming season, so I would be interested in hearing more about the conversion kit.  I have had no problem reefing the Hood system.  Maybe that is because of ignorance.  I did not realize we were supposed to have problems reefing it until i read this thread.  I still prefer reefing the main.  It seems to balance the boat better and isn't much hassle to do.
Mark Mueller
Mark & Melinda Mueller
Blue Moon, Hull #815

Ted Pounds

Mark,
You are absolutely right about reefing the main first.  :thumb:  It totally balances out the boat in a blow.  I used to race against another C34 (tall rig).  Sometimes I would reef and he did not and I would beat him.  It's also important not to over-trim the main.  This guy (in the other C34) did that once on a downwind race leg and he kept rounding-up uncontrollably on every gust.  We just walked by him.   8)
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Marshall Tonner

In May of 2008 I traded my 915 line drive in on the Hood Sea Furl 325.The dealer asked that I hand in the old drum only and for $1525.00(Can$) I received a complete new system.I am much happier for having done this. Now I have positive furling and a large, shiny, stainless steel drum,that doesn't interfere with the launching of my 15kg Rocna anchor.I rationalized for 19 years about the 915LD but the fact is, its not a good system.
Holland Marsh    Hull #899   Cormarant II