V-berth Cabinet

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Johnson

Paul,

I have a question also. It looks like the original shelf can be seen through the caning?  Do you have a picture with the doors open?

Thanks,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

pablosgirl

Hi Lance,

1) Yes the PO had the doors made from scratch.  If you look at the picture "Another view of extension and hinges" in the January 31 post, you can see the details of the door construction.  The door frame is 1x2 teak stock that has been routed with a rail and stile bit set to form the connecting joints of the frame.  A straight router bit was used to make the inside rabbit for the cane panel in the door frame and the outer rabbit so that the door frame sets into the cabinet.  The pre-made cane wicker panel is held in the frame with teak strips that are held in place with brads into the frame.

2) I am not sure which dome lights you are referring to, but the salon cabinet doors clear the salon lights that are mounted under the deck by at least 1.5".

3) The aft berth shelf is 10" wide. you could make it up to 12" wide and not have it interfere with the berth.  I have added another angle shot of the shelf against the engine bulkhead.

Rick, as you noticed, the original shelf is still intact behind the cabinet doors.  I do not have a picture with the salon cabinet doors open here at home, but I will take some this weekend when I go to the boat and post them.

Paul Shields
Pablo's Girl C34 #551
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP

Susan Ray

Great looking mods. What is the louvered vent under the setee against the bulkheard for? Also...is that another door added under the port berth forward? Need more projects ...
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii

pablosgirl

Hi Rick,

I went down to the boat and took these pictures today of the salon cabinets (had an assume sail today too!).  I placed a tape measure in the shots too so you could get a perspective on how they relate to the original shelves.  Notice that the cabinet face tucks in behind the original lower shelf lip.  The cabinet face is screwed to this lip to hold it in place.  The top is secured at the ends of the cabinets and with teak cleats at the  dividers for the doors just behind the chain plate rods.  Also, notice the clearance on the salon lights.

Susan, The louvered vent under the settee is for venting the AB compressor for the fridge in the ice box.  Yes it is another door into the forward compartment under the port settee birth.  This was a mod made buy the PO.  I store my tools in this compartment and find it useful so I don't have to disturb the cushions when my hands are all dirty and I need another tool during a project.

Paul Shields
Pablo's Girl C34 #551
Paul & Cyndi Shields
M25XP

pablosgirl

Had to break it into two post because of size of pictures.  Paul
Paul & Cyndi Shields
M25XP

Rick Johnson

Finally done...  My advice is to buy teak plywood, making your own is a pain in the arse!

Cheers,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX