foam versus coil mattresses

Previous topic - Next topic

alevine

My wife and I recently acquired a Catalina 34 2004, and we have been enjoying the end of the Canadian sailing season.   We were impressed with real mattresses in the Vberth and the aft cabin, however, there is a decidely musty smell to the mattresses.  The smell sends my wife scrambling to open up all the windows and air the boat each time we go down to the club.   
I have raised the problem with others, and the advise is flowing fast and thick, as we speak:   1) Installing a de-humidifier has come up a great deal.  2) Installing thin wood slats under the mattresses to assist in air flow 3) trashing the standard cloth and coil mattresses that came with the boat in favour of dense foam  4)using a dense foam (about 4 inches) covered with a top layour of memory foam (perhaps 2 inches) 5) covering the foam or conventional mattress with a moisture resistant cover but ensure that the underside has a web backing for breathability.   

I am very familiar with the musty smell of cotton clothes left in the boat locker for a few weeks.   Sleeping on a musty mattress is quite unpleasant.   

The humidifier idea sounds like a good start ... looking for suggestions as to makes and models that people are happy with ... any comments on foam verus standard cotton and coil mattresses would be appreciated.  I want to fix this issue before the spring boating season start up.  thanks

Aaron
:?

Ken Juul

I don't leave power hooked up so the dehumidifier option is out for me.  I do however put a the Damprid bucket in each of the cabins every time I lock up.  From their website:  DampRid's Moisture Absorber formula removes excess moisture from the air to eliminate musty odors and reduce allergens caused by moisture.  It prevents mold and mildew stains, protects against moisture damage and turns stagnant air into fresher, healthier air.  
DampRid's Refillable products feature a sturdy container and insert sleeve that can be refilled and reused time and again. They are easy to use and offer an economical and environmentally friendly way to reduce moisture and eliminate odors for long periods of time. The 10.5 oz. is ideal for space that is 150 to 250 sq. ft. in size and lasts up to 45 days.
Ideal for:
Bathrooms/Laundry Rooms
Bedrooms
Closets
Cabinets
Offices/Supply Closets
Gym Lockers
Storage Spaces
Stored Boats/RVs/Classic Cars
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

We were using the damprid dehumidifiers with good results, then WM stopped carrying them and started carrying no-damp product which were a POS(that stands for piece of Sxxt). The insert sleeves would get stuck in the bucket and you'd wind up cracking the bucket trying to get it out to change the crystals. If you can still find the Damp-rid, I would go with that. We now have 3 of the small electric dehumidifiers sold at WM, one in each cabin and one under the dinette table, which may be an overkill, but we have had mildew problems too and this seems to work for us.
We have the standard foam mattresses with 3inch memory foam topper ant we're comfey.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Stu Jackson

One of the most important issues is ventilation.  The Mark IIs do not have the dorades, thus a closed up Mark II boat may not be as ventilated as a Mark I.  There were some discussions about this a while ago, and a search on "ventilation", "Mark II ventilation", and dorades may find those discussions. Here's one:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,2640.0.html

As I recall, many Mark II folks have added Nicro solar powered exhaust fans in addition to their hatches in the heads and aft cabin, or at least keeping them cracked open, if possible.  Thoroughly (ruthlessly) cleaning the bilge is also a necessity.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jeff Kimbel

I went with a foam mattress for our v-berth 3 years ago, and have been very pleased with it.  The mattress is 7" thick and I lay it on top of the existing cushions to provide some barrier underneath.  My v-berth is not "dry" but with the mildew-resistant material, and anti-mildew spray that my wife applies periodically, we have not had any mildew or odor issues.  We also use No-Damp jars which probably provide some help.

I went with Marinecraft Mattress Co., and found their service, price & delivery very good.  They also walked me through the custom-measuring process.  

It cuts down on the headroom in the v-berth (or specifically footroom, as we have a shelf in the forepeak that our feet used to fit under), but we've found it a very comfortable tradeoff.  We now sleep perpendicular & comfortable.

Stu Jackson

Odor Fighter

Here's that information I was looking for in my pm:  http://www.pureayre.com/

This is highly recommended by Peggie Hall who literally wrote the book on Boat Odors.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Roc

You can still find Damp Rid at Home Depot or Lowes. 

Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ken Juul

Or most hardware stores, Ace, True Value, etc.  Cheapest is probably Wal Mart.  Refills for the buckets are also available, either in individual or multifill bags.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

paule

Damp Rid also makes one that hangs and collects the moisture in a bag. Just throw away and hang a new one WORKS GREAT no problem of spilling or replacing the beads. Also sold at Costco. :thumb:
Paul
Paul & Lynn Erb
Yachta Yachta Yachta
C34 2003 #1634
Rotonda West, FL 33947

Ron Hill

Aaron There are three words to help prevent mold/mildue/musty smell they are Ventilation, Ventilation, Ventilation.
You have a MKII and I believe do not have the dorade vents that we have in the MK I design.  You need to do something like that.  In addition I have a 4" solar vent for the Vberth and leave the screen in the head hatch so I can leave it open an inch or two (under the dodger).  In the summer I also have a  summer cover (see Projects) and I then can leave the forward most aft cabin hatch open.  Also I have installed 6 teak (1'x1') louvered vents in the compartments under the settee seats.  I've never had a problem, even when we were in Florida for a year. 
Also the MKI has a slot (approx 1"x 8") between the companion way hatch boards to allow for air movement.  Ventilation is the key !!

I have the 6" foam mattress for the Vberth and do not have a problem any musty smell .  A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788