Spa Creek AutoMAC re-instalation after wiring harness upgrade

Previous topic - Next topic

pablosgirl

I finished the recommended wiring harness upgrade without to much trouble and wanted to have another pair of eyes/mind confirm that I properly re-installed the Spa Creek AutoMAC.  The wiring and connectors were in surprising good shape for being 21 years old (1988, #551 c34).  No evidence of over heating or corrosion.  One was cracked though.  Instead of the factory black electrical tape, they were held together with cable ties.  Must have been a PO upgrade/maintenance item.  What really surprised me was the length of the charging circuit wire, just over 60 feet!  There was the factory orange and red #10 wires at 15 feet each and the two extra lengths of #10 wire (about 16 feet each) to place the AutoMAC ammeter in series with the engine control panel ammeter.  The AutoMAC is mounted on the starboard side of the engine box/companion way structure inside the aft cabin.

Now for the wiring.  My wiring before the installation of the upgrade kit differed from the original wiring diagram supplied with the kit.  This was due to the installation of the AutoMAC.  The red #10 wire (+ Bat) was connected to the "B" terminal of the ignition switch and a #10 wire was connected from the "I" terminal (-) of the ammeter to the (+) terminal of the AutoMAC ammeter.  Another #10 wire connected the (-) terminal of the AutoMAC ammeter to the "I" terminal of the ignition switch.  So in essence the charging circuit traveled from the alternator to the engine control panel ammeter back to the AutoMAC ammeter and back through the ignition switch before it continued back to the battery switch.  Wow!  The blue/gray wire for the +12v connection for the AutoMAC was connected to the "B" terminal of the ignition switch.

Now after the installation of the voltmeter in place of the ammeter.  I have removed the orange #10 wire from the wiring harness. The #10 red wire and the AutoMAC gray +12V wire remained on the "b" terminal of the ignition switch.  Moved the glow plug wire from the "s" terminal of the ammeter and connected it to the "I" terminal of the voltmeter. Moved wire that connected "b" terminal of ignition switch to "I" terminal of ammeter to now connect "I" terminal of ignition switch to "I" terminal of voltmeter.  My engine control panel wiring now matches the modified wiring diagram supplied with the kit with the exception of the AutoMAC +12v gray wire connected to the "B" terminal of the ignition switch.  I connected the output of the altenator to the + terminal of the AutoMAC ammeter and the - terminal of the AutoMAC to the + post of the starter.  The engine and panel function as before the upgrade and the volt meter reads a steady 14volts while the engine is running.  Have not tried to use the AutoMAC since the upgrade.  Does this all sound correct?  does the AutoMAC +12v gray wire need to be moved from the "B" terminal to the "I" terminal of the ignition switch?  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Paul & Cyndi
Pablo's Girl #551
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP