Packing Gland Hose

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawk

Ok Ken and Stu...so there's hope. Thanks.

The fellow with me didn't want to get too aggressive with it.

So, again, I can take a good size persuader to a chisel and give some whacks to seperate the lock nut from the stuffing box without risk of anything catastrophic, right. I am back in the water. And yes I know within reason.   Well my bilge pump is operational, after all.

Hawk
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

Roger Blake

Frozen nuts and bolts sometime respond to heat...if you can get a heat source (micro tourch...like a Bernzomatic 019131 3 in 1 Butane Micro Pencil Flame Torch $7) on the nut, it may come loose. Just don't burn down the boat!
Last Call
1998 C34 MK II
Hull #1414

Jim Hardesty

Mike,
Try this to free your packing nut.   Get a bar at least 1/2 inch dia. long enough to hold, brass would be best and a ballpeen hammer.  Hold the bar to the face of the packing nut and hit with the hammer, shouldn't need to hit it too hard.  Try to hit it all the around the face.  The idea is to further compress the packing.  Then I think that the nut will free up.  If not try some PB Blaster over night and try again.  Perhaps a heat gun but I would be reluctant to use a torch.

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Hawk

Thanks Guys,

I went down to give it a few more whacks and observed it was 3 to 4 drops per minute at rest. I will check it with engine under load, and may leave it until ski season is over.

Hawk
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

bclery

What web site/part number is that hose?  Do they sell it with the 4 clamps ?

What size is the ID of the hose?  When I measure the OD of the brass it is not a standard 1 3/4", seems a bit smaller.

What is the cataline OD of the tube thru the hull?  (hull CTYPO319J687)  (sorry I am 7 hours from the boat)

I have the hose & brass unit off the boat now and cleaned it.  I found that there was wear on the inside from the bronze shaft rubbing, significant but still usable.  I think I should put this same gland back on because a new brass gland would just need to wear to fit again.  At least until I can get the boat in the water and do a proper alignment. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Bill

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Per Catalina's parts dept the hose is 1 5/8"
Catalina part # 50013 @ $12.00 each
but I understand you can use standard hose
standard (all stainless)hose clamps are used

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

bclery

Great.  Contacting Catalina now to order.
The usual online places only carry 1-3/4 and 2", so I assumed I was measing wrong.  Nice to know I can still read a ruler.

Ron Hill

Guys : When you reassemble the packing gland and the lock nut, don't forget to use some water proof/resistant grease or Lanacoat.  This should insure that you can turn them years later.  
When mine get that green color on the outside I put some Lime-A-Way on them, break them apart and re grease them before reassembly.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788