Anchor Fit on C 34

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Joe, with your longer bow roller it should rest OK, but with my old toy bow rollers I have to tie a line from the "roll bar" on the anchor to the pulpit to keep the anchor on board.  I use a short line, plus a shock cord with a hook on the end thru the small hole in the forward end of the shank.  I take the line off before anchoring, but leave the shock cord on until ready to drop.  It's a precarious balance, so I'd caution you to make sure it's secure before you head out after installing the anchor.  My buddy tied a lousy knot one day and the anchor went overboard about two miles out to sea.  Good thing the rode hockled over the center cleat before the whole rig went into the deeps.  My buddy had "tons of fun" pulling it all back up!:)  While I was grinning, big time, ear-to-ear.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Joe : I've never seen a later (1989-1993) MK I and a MK II side by side, but I believe they have very similiar if not identical anchor wells -  concerning the bow roller
Ron, Apache #788

Joe Kern

Thanks guys.  I was out on the boat today and by the looks of it I think it will fit.  I ordered it tonight.  $321 from Defender. Boat show special.
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Hawk

I installed my new Rocna 15 (33#) this summer....well, installed is not accurate as it simply fit in/on the bow roller under the bail - no problem. My 1990 has the longer roller similar to your newer boats I believe.
You'll be happy.
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

Joe Kern

Finally put the Manson on the boat.   Fits ok although the bail on the roller does not allow the whole shaft to sit flush and it barely clears the roller furler.   Thinking of removing the bail but I like the idea of it keeping the anchor from bouncing around.  Looking forward to using it for the first time and for more relaxing evenings at anchor in the Bahamas than my previous anchor (now a spare that also fits in the anchor locker).

Joe
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Ken Juul

I'm sure a local machine shop or Garhauer could make you a larger bail for a reasonable price.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Craig Illman

Joe - You can definitely get a longer bail from Garhauer for a very reasonable price.

Craig

Joe Kern

Thanks Guys.  I had the same thought and did a search on the Garhauer site when I was on the boat.  Was using my iphone so not the easiest to see their online catalog but I did not see they had any different size bails for the anchor rollers.   I will give them a call.
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Ken Juul

If it something they make, they will happily modify it to meet your needs.  I didn't see a listing for them seperately either, but they are on the anchor rollers they sell so they have them.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Craig Illman

Second item down, BB-2, on this hyperlink http://garhauermarine.com/catalog_process.cfm?cid=73 should do the trick. I'm pretty darn sure that's what I bought.

Craig

Joe Kern

Thanks Craig!!!!!  I saw those and thought they looked like the same thing but thought that could not be.  The I decided for less than $20 why not try but decided I would do it and then report if it worked as someone on the forum would say I was crazy for thinking a boom bail would work for an anchor roller.

I will give it a try.
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

scotty

So, I've got a couple of questions.  I want to upgrade my anchor system on my 1987 MK I. I can't afford the windless for about a year, but I want to start with the anchor. I sail out of Santa Cruz, CA and need an anchor suitable for sand,kelp and surf -in overnight and (gulp!! - I hope not!) emergency situations.  I've been looking at a 35# CQR, but I see here that a lot of you guys are using the Rocna (either 15 or 20 KG).  My questions:  Anyone have any strong opinions that either of these anchors are better or worse than the other for my uses?  Also, could a 61 year old guy (in reasonable health) break these anchors out of the sand using a bit of forward motoring, and then lifting it out without a windless?  I've got 15 feet of chain.  What do you think?
Scotty

Stu Jackson

Scotty, you need to size an anchor system, not just select "an anchor" 'cuz others use it, and throw a few feet of chain on it.

15 feet of chain is less than about half of what you should be using, minimum.

Try this: Anchor System Sizing Tables:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4990.0.html

It discusses the OPTIONS in sizing a system.  I lift our 22# Rocna with its 35 feet of 1/4" chain based on the SYSTEM sizing I described in the link to sizing, and I'm a few years older than you are.  I wouldn't think a 35# would be that easy.  3/8" chain is overkill, I believe unless supported by the system sizing criteria.  However, that big makes it more a storm system than an everyday anchoring system for "normal" use.

You need to figure out where you're going to anchor and need to anchor, or choose to purchase your "worst case scenario" system now, as discussed in that topic.  We don't know what your cruising grounds or plans are.

Steve's 1500 Mile Report (http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5270.0.html) includes this:  

The Rocna.  All 20kg of it with 100ft of chain.  The rest of the world can debate all they like.   When I pull into a place like Bodega Bay at midnight and the fog is so thick I can't see the jetty 50 feet away to make an entrance, I drop my hook in the rolling ocean swells with the surf crashing (Foster says it's like staying in a cheap Best Western beside the highway), and I sleep.  And in the morning I have a windlass to pull the beast up and I wouldn't trade it for anything.   (I also wouldn't add more chain - this works perfectly in 25 to 30 feet of water - you let all the chain out and you tie off nylon at the preferred scope and don't bother with snubbers and chain hooks and all that stuff...)

This was our best upgrade.

CQR?  I wouldn't trust my boat to one, but some do.  Try this topic: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,2705.0.html

It's long but has important info.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Ron Hill

Scotty : I believe that CQRs are much overrated.  I won't get into a preferred anchor discussion, but a fixed plow type like an Mason, Bruce or Rocna might be a better choice. 

I've got 15+ years on you and pulled a 33 Bruce and 30' of chain until I had problems - NOT pulling the anchor related (just body parts wearing out).  I'd ideally get the length of the boat chain and to help somewhat with the weight, get 1/4" high tensile chain.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: scotty on November 22, 2010, 08:55:12 PM
I can't afford the windless for about a year, but I want to start with the anchor.

Scotty,

Ron's idea for losing weight with 1/4" HT is a good one.  You also need to keep in mind that since your are to buy a windlass next year, then you need to select the right chain for it now.  Only the smaller windlasses use 1/4", most are 5/16".  Like these:  http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=45348&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=10105&subdeptNum=10428&classNum=10429

And here's another good anchor thread:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5458.0.html

and this one, too:  Roll Bar Anchors:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4457.0.html