Rope clutch on furling line

Previous topic - Next topic

Roc

Hi folks..One improvement that I've seen on some boats is to put a rope clutch to contain the furling line, instead of a cleat.  I've seen this on several boats at the recent show and figure it would be much easer to capture the line as you try to reef the genny.  Right now, I have a ratchet block clamped on the stern rail that helps hold the line as I reef by taking some force off.  I would like to have a rope clutch, instead of the cleat, so I can easily just flip the lever down to hole the line.  If anyone has added this to their furling line, I would be interested how and where you mounted it and what kind of clutch did you use.  I've seen the Spinlock device use on the other boats I've seen which sells for around $70-80.

Thanks!
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Craig Illman

Roc - I have one from Garhauer that's mounted on the outside starboard track about two feet forward of the pushpit where there's another block. Sorry, I don't have a picture.

Craig

Ron Hill

Roc : I used a cam cleat before I added a small Lewmar #16 ST winch. 
The cam cleat is lower in height and will secure that line just as well - rather than a "rope stopper". 
A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Wayne

I have a stopper (don't remember the brand) mounted behind the factory horn cleat.  Setup works great!
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

Roc

Wayne,
You have a MkII, so your factory set up should be like mine.  When you say 'behind the cleat', do you mean the line passes over the cleat and into the stopper? (that's what I envision you mearn). Or does the line go through the stopper, which would be mounted right next to the turning block feeding the jib sheet, then the line exits the stopper and goes to the cleat.  I want to make sure what you consider behind the cleat.  My problem is that there isn't much room in that area to mount anything.  Also, do you have a block mounted on the stern rail?

Thanks

paule

I have a garhauer cleat on the outside rail also works great have had it for 5 years.

Paul
Paul & Lynn Erb
Yachta Yachta Yachta
C34 2003 #1634
Rotonda West, FL 33947

Jim Hardesty

I liked the way my friends Hunter was set up.  So I copied.  I used a Harken 6077 ESP FOOTBLOCK-57mm W/LOCKOFF SWL don't remember where I bought it here is the description from Harken.
http://www.apsltd.com/p-3881-57mm-esp-single-footblock-lockoff.aspx
I mounted this on top of the sheet turning block with a "prototype" plywood adaptor 2 seasons ago and removed the pulley at the stern rail.   note to self  make a permenate adaptor
It's much easer to furl, the lever cam will hold the furling/reefing line, but I still use the cleat because its there.
One of the best sail handling changes I've made.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ken Juul

This is one of those threads where some pictures would save a thousand words.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Roc

Yes, if anyone can get pictures, that would really help.  Jim's idea sounds interesting and I have one question.....Jim, the current block mounted on the stern rail that I have the furling line through is a Harken ratchet block that takes some strain off the line as I furl.  With the footblock with lockoff that you have, do you find the line hard to reef as you pull? 

Thanks,
Roc-

Wayne

Roc, I have a turning block on the stern rail; the rope clutch is forward of that.  I'm going to try to post a picture with this post . . . Here goes--with my fingers crossed for the picture . . .
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

Wayne

Wow!!!!  Success with the picture.  I didn't have a decent picture that shows the turning block, but I'm sure you know what that looks like.  The clutch really works great.
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

Roc

Wayne,
Didn't realize your turning block was that far back on the stern rail.  Mine is aft of the cleat in your picture.  Maybe the new stern rails have an area where the block can be mounted.  Mine is open until just about where the perch seats is.  That would seem to make the line in the way as moving around the cockpit.

Jim Hardesty

Roc,
I have a 150 genoa and I'm sometimes a bit late to reef.  Still the furling line is easy to pull in and lock.  Shamrock is under the winter cover now, not a good time for pictures.  If you look at Waynes picture my footblock is on top of the deck block over the a on the name.  If it was needed either one of the winches could be used to furl.  I have run the line to check that out but havn't found it needed.
Next time I visit Shamrock I'll try some pictures.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Wayne

Roc, if I remember correctly the turning block is mounted more or less below the seat and the furling line has never been a problem re moving about the boat.  The line is in the way when putting a dock line into place on the cleat (minor) . . . and for sure in the way when pumping out the holding tank . . . but that is another issue.
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

Tom Clay

Roc,

I am enclosing a picture of Somewhere sailing last week with a swivel cam cleat we use on our MK11 furling line. It is convenient to both the helmsman and crew.

By the way it was a great day on the water. 14-18 knots gusting to 22 with full sails. hit a high of 9.2 knots, averaged 8-8.5. We had one gust of 24 knots downwind that pushed us to 8.5.

A sailing day I won't soon forget.
Tom and Lynn Clay
2006 34' Hull #1760......Somewhere
Olympia, Wa.